Need help!

Rayman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my tank for a couple of weeks and 1 week with live rock. I noticed when i got home my water tint was Slightly green. I am a beginner at this hobby and need help. Why is this happening??

LE0

High end Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also test my water to see whats going on.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about your lights? I hear it's best to leave all your lights off during the cycle, as it will promote algae issues. Is your tank near a window?

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! Water changes and carbon. Change the carbon every couple of days. Definitely want a skimmer in there. Good luck and keep asking questions. Also what type of water did you use to fill the tank?

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Penguin 350 filter on mine. It's mainly for freshwater, yeah, but it does have it's benefits. The filters help capture some of the junk, add oxygen and flow to the system. I use filters that have carbon in them, and carbon is always a plus. It may be made for a freshwater but it definitely won't HURT anything. Will add filtration and flow. That's why I kept mine. Try to keep your water level up tho. Once it gets down so far, the waterfall will create a splash and cause some salt creep.

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Penguin 350 filter on mine. It's mainly for freshwater, yeah, but it does have it's benefits. The filters help capture some of the junk, add oxygen and flow to the system. I use filters that have carbon in them, and carbon is always a plus. It may be made for a freshwater but it definitely won't HURT anything. Will add filtration and flow. That's why I kept mine. Try to keep your water level up tho. Once it gets down so far, the waterfall will create a splash and cause some salt creep.

I would politely disagree that it "definitely won't HURT anything." Use of such filtration can encourage your system to develop excessive nitrifying bacteria instead of utilizing live rock which (while nitrifying ammonia and nitrite) will work to denitrify your system.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would politely disagree that it "definitely won't HURT anything." Use of such filtration can encourage your system to develop excessive nitrifying bacteria instead of utilizing live rock which (while nitrifying ammonia and nitrite) will work to denitrify your system.

Not saying your wrong, but looking for other input on the topic. It's sprung my curiosity. You are more experienced than me, so I'm sure you know more about it than I do, but still, I'm curious to hear other peoples thoughts on this. I've been running mine for 7 months and everything in my tank seems to be alright. My fish are ok. So basically, what you're saying, is that OP and I would be better off if we took off our filters? If the filter is causing problems, I would definitely remove the thing. This is the first I've heard about it being bad for the tank and I've mentioned my HOB filter many times before.

Last edited:

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying your wrong, but looking for other input on the topic. It's sprung my curiosity. You are more experienced than me, so I'm sure you know more about it than I do, but still, I'm curious to hear other peoples thoughts on this. I've been running mine for 7 months and everything in my tank seems to be alright. My fish are ok. So basically, what you're saying, is that OP and I would be better off if we took off our filters? If the filter is causing problems, I would definitely remove the thing. This is the first I've heard about it being bad for the tank and I've mentioned my HOB filter many times before.

I read his post as to suggest there is a "better" option than the HOB wheel which I would agree.

Regarding the OP question, if the tank is as young as it seems (roughly 3 weeks) lights don't need to be ran while cycling, the light is for our viewing pleasure and would promote algae growth.
Regarding the use of carbon, it is good water clarity/polishing and taking out toxins but not needed IME at the present, I've never ran carbon but thats just me, many do. With reference to a skimmer, at one point you'll want one but I'm going to suspect you have little to no bio load so there is no sense in adding a skimmer yet, but get one and don't skimp

These are my opinions and experience and you'll find many others out there LOL

Take everyone's suggestions and weigh out what fits as well as reading more on what one person suggests vs another-there is no "just one way" to do it in this hobby otherwise there would be a single book and we'd all have it, or pass it around :)

Good luck

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I read his post as to suggest there is a "better" option than the HOB wheel which I would agree.

Regarding the OP question, if the tank is as young as it seems (roughly 3 weeks) lights don't need to be ran while cycling, the light is for our viewing pleasure and would promote algae growth.
Regarding the use of carbon, it is good water clarity/polishing and taking out toxins but not needed IME at the present, I've never ran carbon but thats just me, many do. With reference to a skimmer, at one point you'll want one but I'm going to suspect you have little to no bio load so there is no sense in adding a skimmer yet, but get one and don't skimp

These are my opinions and experience and you'll find many others out there LOL

Take everyone's suggestions and weigh out what fits as well as reading more on what one person suggests vs another-there is no "just one way" to do it in this hobby otherwise there would be a single book and we'd all have it, or pass it around :)

Good luck
Yes, thanks reefnjunkie. I was trying to mention that there were advantages that could be found elsewhere and also that there was no guarantee that it wouldn't hurt. From how I understand it, we want to have as great an amount of anaerobic bacteria (denitrifying) as possible. The aerobic bacteria (nitrifying) produces nitrates which will fuel algae unless we can consume them in some other way (I.e. skimming, live rock, etc.)

So rather than having our compounds turned into nitrate we look to export them first by way of skimming or through live rock. At least that how I understand it. I will admit, it seems that without a skimmer one would end up with the same amount of nitrates regardless of filtration method. After all, the level of ammonia will produce a given level of nitrates unless something is removed in between. I'm just passing along the info that I've been taught. But like Brad mentioned, there is no one way to do everything. Sorry if this is too much rambling :)

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thanks reefnjunkie. I was trying to mention that there were advantages that could be found elsewhere and also that there was no guarantee that it wouldn't hurt. From how I understand it, we want to have as great an amount of anaerobic bacteria (denitrifying) as possible. The aerobic bacteria (nitrifying) produces nitrates which will fuel algae unless we can consume them in some other way (I.e. skimming, live rock, etc.)

So rather than having our compounds turned into nitrate we look to export them first by way of skimming or through live rock. At least that how I understand it. I will admit, it seems that without a skimmer one would end up with the same amount of nitrates regardless of filtration method. After all, the level of ammonia will produce a given level of nitrates unless something is removed in between. I'm just passing along the info that I've been taught. But like Brad mentioned, there is no one way to do everything. Sorry if this is too much rambling :)

Makes sense. I do have a skimmer along side the filter so it's not all for the worse. I'm wondering know, if the HOB filter, as you mentioned, is what has caused my previous struggle with nitrates when I first set up my tank. Nitrates have since come down to 20ppm compared to my previous 160+.

Maybe I'll start a new thread or do some research no this topic. Sorry, didn't mean to distract from OP. :tape2:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back