Wavemaker and Powerheads

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up everyone? So far so good with my tank. Since I've finally seemed to have beaten my earlier nitrate problem, I've been doing allot more with the tank and looking to get a Hydor Koralia Smart Wave Pump and 2 new powerheads. I currently use a Marineland Maxijet400 that gives me about 500 gph. I also have a skimmer and a Marineland Penguin 350 HOB filter system that gives some flow as well.

Along with my new Hydor Wave pump, I am also going to get 2 new powerheads. The maxi jet is kinda bulky and I don't really like it. I am also starting add a few corals, zoas etc, and I'm wondering exactly how much flow I need. I have a 36 inch long 30 gallong tank. Hagen has some rather inexpensive powerheads and I was considering getting 2 CP1s, which yield 265 gph each. That would give me 530 gph from the PHs alone. Do you recommend I get more flow than that? The CP2 provides 425 gph each, so should I go with 2 of those instead? Or ... one 265 gph CP1 and one 425 gph CP2?

Last question is about the placement of the 2 new powerheads. One on each side of the tank? Hey thanks for the help everyone. You guys are always awesome.

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the Jebaos, they are more expensive but will be a lot better in the long run. Everyone always goes the inexpensive route but end up spending money twice on the same thing.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydors "work" to push water, but as the previous poster stated, there are much better options for corals at a reasonable price. I have run vortechs on my previous systems and now in my 50 long I'm running 2 jebao wp10s.

For what they want for the hydors and amount of water they "actually" push, combined with their standard linear flow pattern, I wouldn't do them. Especially when you add in the cost of the wave maker, and that annoying clicking sound (when I tried their maker with the hydors) of them turning on and off. Just not worth the cost imho..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back