Hello all

Jorge-al

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i want to star a salt water reef tank i was thinking of going for a 40 gallon i only have like 700 to spend do you guys think that enough or i should go for an smaller tank, and also how often do i have to do maintenance . Thanks

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:welcome:
You can get an aquarium for really cheap, it's the equipment that matters. Little tip, don't waste your money on a canister filter, they can build up into nitrate farms. What will cost you is the lights and the skimmer, and powerheads depending on the brand. On my 46 gallon, the maintenance schedule is one water change every week, scrub algae off the glass when it starts looking a little gross, and clean the skimmer cup every so often.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

A 40 is a good size, I started smaller with a 29. but before that I had a 5gal for a year :)

You are going to do constant top off with RO/DI water about every day, and a 10-20% water change every week or once every other week depending on how your system is running. if you do not have a skimmer, you are also going to want cane check your water permitters every few days.

with a good clean up crew, you should be fine

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! The start-up adds up. Live rocks, Lighting, RO/DI are the $$. I started with 29g and not planning to upgrade at all. It is perfect size with our lifestyle. I do 5 gallon water change every two weeks and I do have a skimmer.

Last edited:

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r bigger the better!!!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, to the best reef forum around!
welcome-108.gif

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you got anything yet but, I am building a system on a budget also. Petsmart is going to have their ensembles 50% off on black friday. I am going with the 75g tank, stand, and led light for $250. I have heard that this is a great size to start with if room allows. They will also have filters half off. So I will be getting a emperor 400 for about $35. I ordered dry rock from bulk reef supply got 60 pounds for $175. I plan on buying 10 pounds or so from lfs to help seed the dry faster. I know the led that comes with the set isn't good enough for coral but, you can't put them in right away anyway. It will be good enough for getting the tank cycled which will give me some time to get the coralife t5 I am looking at. If 75 is to big they have a 56 colum that I was going to buy before I found out about the sale. It is normally $319 for tank, stand, and led light. It will also be half off. I looked at some used tanks but, with these prices I don't really have to gamble buying somebody else potential headache. I plan on adding a diy sump later as funds allow. After I get my light I will probably have a total of $900 to get started that's buying water from lfs. I really think it will be closer to $800 but allowing extra for some things i might have overlooked. My budget starting out was $1k because of black friday I get a nicer tank for that money. At first I was worried about using the emperor 400 but, I have talked to several people that use them without issue. One of our lfs has had a 125g running one for about 12 years with lots of coral and fish. Thai made me feel better about it. If you did a smaller one of the sets with one of the good hob filters they will have you could get way under $700 to start. If you went with the 56 tank set and filter would be under $200. Then just have to shop smart for the rest.

OP
OP
Jorge-al

Jorge-al

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info and for telling me the price i can not do a 75 because i have not enough space but i will be thinking of 55 for sure ty again

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 75 is the same length as the 55. We where going to go with the 56 column because for one it is cheaper but for two it is more square and taller so when I needed to upgrade to a bigger tank out could easily go in the bedroom. We where able to come up with an arrangement that makes the 48"wide 75g work and since it was already budgeted to by the $320 56 it was a no breaker to get the 75 for $250. They even have a 120 set for about $330 but it is 6' long and 18" deep. I don't like long skinny ones like that or 55 because I think they look crowded.

OP
OP
Jorge-al

Jorge-al

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how much it will increase a 75 gallon the electricity bill ??? And i think it will be way more expensove all the equipment for 75 lol im an student every dollar count

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't know about your electric bill. It will be more expensive to set up but, you could do it for your $700 budget. They have all kinds of tanks you should go in and check it out. You might decide to go with one of the bow fronts or they have a60g. If you wanted to stay in the 29 gallon range you could get one of those sets real cheap. Of course the bigger the tank the more rock, sand, and water you will need so while they say the bigger the better it does cost more. If you so around you can get better deals. I just looked on bulk reef supply and they have a 50 pound box of Fiji dry rock for $115 and live sand for $18 a bag. If you order $175 or more shipping is free. Dry rock where I live by the box is $175 plus tax so I buy that stuff online.

Back