Sandstorm

banjowalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short noob mistake by not rinsing the sand thoroughly because Marcosand was too fine and I was losing it all. I have tried letting all the sand settle without any of my equipment on, but every time I turn everything back on it continues to cloud. Is there anything I can do about this? I am running carbon and my skimmer is on and working overtime. I am going to be cycling soon and I would like to be able to see inside the tank before I start. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run filter socks? It's pretty normal for sand to clowns the water and it will take sometime to settle out. If you run socks try stuffing them with some filter floss and change them regularly as they will clog fairly quickly.

OP
OP
banjowalker

banjowalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run filter socks? It's pretty normal for sand to clowns the water and it will take sometime to settle out. If you run socks try stuffing them with some filter floss and change them regularly as they will clog fairly quickly.
I do not at this time. I was thinking of running some but I haven't gotten around to ordering them

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would definitely help to clear up your sand storm much quicker. Even if you pick up one or two just for the sand and don't use them after

OP
OP
banjowalker

banjowalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would definitely help to clear up your sand storm much quicker. Even if you pick up one or two just for the sand and don't use them after
The only problem is I'd have to order them. Don't have any LFS near me. They all went out of business

OP
OP
banjowalker

banjowalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a can filter with floss in the DT so hopefully it clears up quick

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing a year ago when I started. Sorry to say the only thing I could do was drain, rinse the sand, then refill. I didn't rinse the sand at all first. Every time I turned on a powerhead or moved a rock the whole tank clouded up. It never got better. Sorry to say, but draining, rinsing and refilling may be your ultimate solution.

OP
OP
banjowalker

banjowalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing a year ago when I started. Sorry to say the only thing I could do was drain, rinse the sand, then refill. I didn't rinse the sand at all first. Every time I turned on a powerhead or moved a rock the whole tank clouded up. It never got better. Sorry to say, but draining, rinsing and refilling may be your ultimate solution.
I will see how it is after a few days

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you keep your pumps on or it will be another sand storm when you turn them on. It should clear up.

OP
OP
banjowalker

banjowalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
148fb337acd45ba4266d8312c4ee7a85.jpg
Removed the old sand. It was just too fine and I couldn't see any progression. This is only one night after removal.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back