Tank questions

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new and just starting out. I thought I made up my mind I was going to buy a 75g set from petsmart on black friday. My plans where to buy that tank drill overflows my self and build a sump to go in the bottom. After taking to some people and reading probably way to much I may go a different direction. The stand that set comes with will not be very handy to put a sink in and work on it. I am thinking about building a metal stand and covering it with removable panels so it looks nice. I have seen many threads about people doing this. I want it to be a little taller and maybe a little wider to accommodate sump and other equipment. Tank is 48x18x21 I was thinking stand to be 50x20x36. Here are where the questions come. I stumbled on glass cages website and looks like I can get tank drilled with overflow delivered for about $400. Will be about the same if I buy a marineland from petsmart and do something like a glass-holes kit but, I don't have to drill it. Are glass cages tanks better than marineland? It looks like they drill one drain and one return for that price. Allot of tanks I see have 2 of each. Is one of each enough? Also, on their guarantee they say it is void if it is used on a non-factory built stand. Am I asking for trouble doing my own stand? My son-in-law will build it and he welds for a living so I am sure he will do a great job. I appreciate any suggestions. I will have many questions and will probably just ask them here. I am working on somewhat of a budget so that why I don't just go to the local fish shop and drop $800 on a tank they have sitting there.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, building your own stand will not be an issue....most home built stand are much stronger and can be personalized to fit your setup. I wish I would have built my own but I used one of the stands from PetSmart (I didn't have to worry about room underneath since my sump is in a different room).

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 55 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 67 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 57 30.3%
Back