Anemones... Who has them and what can you say about them?

TheNowMovement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has very little coral in it right now, and ive been kicking around the idea of putting an anemone in my tank. But here in lies the problem... everywhere that I read is very vague about what to expect from an anemone... Like its hit or miss on whether it will stay put, eat fish, kill corals, etc... I want to know first hand peoples experience with them, and the more descriptive the better! I wanna make sure that if i make the decision to house an anemone, that it is done right and make sure that it not only survives but thrives! Any input is appreciated! :bigsmile:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everywhere you read is vague, you are reading the wrong literature. There are good books on anemones and lots of online info, including a forum here at R2R dedicated to anemones. I'd start there, reading the stickies.

Anemone & Clownfish Discussion

The answer to many of those questions depends entirely on the species. For example, an E.quadricolor (bubble tip) will rarely eat a fish while some of the carpet anemones will frequently do so.

All of them have the potential to move around, although if you put them in a place to their liking, they may not move noticeably in years.

If anemones are new to you, avoid carpet anemones of all species and focus on the E. quads as they are usually cheaper, very attractive, much easier to obtain and maintain, and won't eat fish. :)

OP
OP
T

TheNowMovement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre right probably! I havent found the right literature... but really, that isnt the point! I want peoples first hand experiences with them... I will check that thread out... I am new to the forums so I have a lot to find and learn...

4sided cube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several and will tell you my experience with them. I have a 15" neon green carpet, three small rock a's. No bubble tips as the only one I had slowly shrank all the while moving around. The ones I have so far are thriving. The rockys have not grown much and only one moved any at all. The carpet has the most to tell. It was about 10" when I got it about 9months ago. It didn't move at all from the location I chose. Its foot is about the size of an index card. It just recently moved about 4inches and move another couple inches a week later. It was touching the side of the tank as it grew and think it moved because of this as it just moved slightly away from the tank wall. I don't target feed any of them but the carpet will accept an occasional table shrimp piece. I feed Mysis daily to the fish and it will always feast on those that drop onto it. Another curious thing is it has drawn completely under the sand two times. Freaked me out but it came back out in a day or so. I just this week added a saddle clown and it is hosting in the carpet now. I love them and plan to always have them as a part of my reef. Hope this helps.

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bubble tip that has been in my tank for a while now. Still in the same spot from day one, and has grown quite a bit.
Buddy of mine had one that constantly moved. It eventually found the powerhead. He no longer has an annenome.

Just never know what it will do in your tank. Mine may decide to find a new spot and take out some corals along the way. Time will tell

smb2415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ritteri, bubble tip, and a Long tentacle. They all moved around quit a bit depending upon if they like where I placed them. bubble tips, Long tentacles, and rock anemones are safe (in my opinion) from harming fish. I don't have much experience with corals but Im guessing like most thing it all depends upon how much water volume you have and how close together they are. Ive found nems Ive had to be pretty easy, I did however wait a full year before I got one.

Stubbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tube anemone and it hasn't moved since I first placed it. Been only 2 months though. I target fees it Mysis and Brine. This is the first one I've had and haven't had any issues so far.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Pink Tip anemone about 2 months ago and it's pretty boring. It remains at the far end in the back of the tank behind a bunch of rocks and I can't even hardly see it or feed it. It doesn't host my clowns and it doesn't sting anything either. I've handled it with my bare hands before and never stung me either.

mcbridepcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rose bubble tip, had it for several months. I bought it matched to a live rock place it high up ,and in a alternating current. It's been happy and never moved, and I have noticed growth. It's eating well, and pooping too. That's the strangest behavior to watch. For me it's pretty cool, my protein skimmer has increased output since introducing it. All in all I'm happy and when I upgrade to the 90 gallon in a little while (currently 46 bow) I defiantly would like to start a anemone garden. Several bubble tips I think. They are cool animals even though the make more waste the most corals.

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ritteri, BTA, and even condylactis. However, my tank is not overcrowded with corals either (some zoos, goniopora). The nems like to move around, so just be careful they don't get too close or you'll have to move your corals--- the ritteri is big and needs room. but if you are careful, no reason you can't have the nems. BTAs are pretty easy. Just make sure you have proper lighting and keep Nitrates and Phosphates very low.

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do create waste. I use RedSea PO3 NO4 and it makes my skimmer more efficient and keeps PO3 and NO4 low. A must if you are going to have anemone garden in my experience.

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have one, but I have too much coral and I'm afraid the nem will move and sting them.

5Bucks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a Condy. It went back to the LFS after about 9 months. While I had it it easily tripled in size. Had a pair of Clarki Clowns which hosted in it. Fairly certain it consumed 4 Blue-Green Chromis. Final straw was waking up one morning to a half consumed Yellow Tang in its tentacles after they had co-existed for 7 months. I will never have another Condy! The LFS sold it as a purple tip anemone. About 8 months ago I picked up a Rose Bubble Tip which I love! It's moved a few inches a couple times. I have a pair of Ocellaris Clowns which host in it. IMO proper lighting is essential - I think it's movement was sparked by my T5 bulbs aging. Lately, my RBTA really appreciates some target feeding. I'm thinking he's not getting enough nourishment from symbiotic algae due to my aging lights - I'm in the middle of switching from T5's to LED. When target fed every other day it puffs up and seems much happier.

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your setup but Anemones are the easiest thing for me to take care of and Ive never lost one. I have some of the easier species though maxi mini carpets and rose bubbles but they sure are easy for me.

TUT.Bellon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm Jake. I got my first saltwater aquarium about four months ago. It's a 110 gallon with a 40 gallon sump. I bought my first anemone last Friday; a green bubble tip. It's first day was rough, there were two on the same rock at my lfs so they extracted mine. As soon as I put it in the dt it got blown away by the discharge. Now it's moved under a rock facing down into a cave, it's been there about 4 days. Any suggestions on what I should do would be appreciated.

5Bucks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jake, If it were me, I'd get him out of the cave. Try and find a place with some low flow and moderate to strong light. Did he look good at the LFS? If so, I'd try and duplicate light level he had there. My RBT does best about 8" from T5 bulbs (I have 4 x 36" T5's. 2 actinic and 2 whites over a standard 55G.) The idea is to get him to attach somewhere. After that he'll probably move around a bit to find a place he likes. I'd be surprised if he opens up much if in a dark spot. I'd use some rock rubble to contain him closer to light until he attaches naturally. Mine always seems to do better when target fed mysis or brine shrimp every few days. When not fed for a week or so a couple times he's taken a journey to a higher spot in the tank. I think they need nourishment from light (internal symbiotic algae) and/or target feeding to be successful. Best is probably a balance of the 2 but I believe one can substitute for the other to some extent.

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months is not really long enough. You should have tank for at least a year before trying for anemones.
Do not force feed him. He will get why he needs from light

You also may want to acclimate him to the light.

TUT.Bellon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I ended up rearranging my aqua scape. I bought an established tank, so it's actually about three years old, I've just been in the hobby for four months. I'm anxious to get off work and see where it's at when I get home

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back