help with my girlfriends bad choice. lta question

Zz6rpezza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help my gf went to petco......(yeah) for some instant salt for my waterchange. She came home with a purple lta. And told me what the guy said how to put it in the tank etc. He pretty much lied to her said it didnt need mych light there hardy etc well this thing has been floating around my tank for 2 weeks. It wont put its foot down. She paid 69.99 for this!! Its about 10 inches across i went back to them the first week we had it and yelled at the guy. Demeanded he take it back and take refund me. Due to selling my gf an item that just isnt right well that did lnt work,i kept the lta in my tank didnt want to pull it put head there and if they didnt take it back bring it back home. So now im stuck with it we have 3 lfs and no one wants an anemone. So here is what i did

Aclimated it for close to 2.5 hrs.
Put it in the tank on a shelf rock with moderate flow.

Levels 1.024 salinity
300 alkalinity
8.2 ph
0 amonia
0 nitrate
10 nitrite
8 phosfated
1250 mag
450 calcium

3w led 440nmblue 420nm violet and 460nm red custom strips.
20k daylight
7.5k day light

How do i help him plant hes just rolling around
Anything else i need for him
Only frag in tank is zoa. Doing great

Thanks all the places around here done know much

Last pic was first 2 days in tank

1417037832214.jpg
1417037891949.jpg
20141122_140424_HDR.jpg

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones typically do better in an established tank 8+ months :) I however have had success in tanks much younger.

I would suggest doing nothing and let it roll around till it finds a spot... It can take days. Just make sure to watch out for its mouth. If their mouth is gaping open its generally a sign of stress. They can get attached to powerheads too so watch for that during the time its rolling around. Maybe put something over your power head to protect it?

Also you guys should get on the same page as to what is going in the tank :) Do you research first then go looking. You can't rely on LFS in my experience. The internet is a wealth of knowledge, once you get it down you can tell if the LFS is BSin or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zz6rpezza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info ill leave him be. And as far as protection. Think i should ziptie like a filter sock over it. And oh shes in my page no anenomes. Haha i justbwant low light easy corals
Thanks again think maybe i can adopt him out on these forums

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A PVC coupler works well also, gives it some protection without digging too much.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem too with a Pink Tip. They don't like flow. My nem kept letting go because of the flow. I would turn off my powerhead, he would take hold, then as soon as I turned the powerhead back on after a day, he would move to a different spot and then let go, rolling around the tank. Try putting him in a place with less flow? It does look like your tank is new. That might be a part of it, too.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on letting it try and settle. As long as it doesn't really look unhealthy it should be okay

Last edited:

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you gave right alk reading. 300 is off the charts.
Nitrite should be 0 might be part of the issue.
Phosphates are creeping up but not to high yet.
Your salinity is a little on low side for anemones in my experience. Mine like 1.025-1.027
One thing you can do is try and wedge his base under a rock low to mid level in the tank. You can squish him a little they are hardy little guys. This may make him feel safe. Also add some nitrite absorber (can't recall the name right now. I think it is amino lock or something like that).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back