What is this worm thing? Is it good for my tank?

cjblatchford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Folks,

New to this. Have a few questions. I am starting my third week in the cycling process. Added a second load of live rock this past Sat. I am noticing these black bristly worms, and brownish 'plants' growing, what are they? Also had a snail hitchhike on that rock, and a tiny white star looking thing (dime size) he moves around a lot.
IMG_0412.jpg
IMG_0415.jpg
Should I ditch that piece of rock? My goal is a mixed reef tank. Alkalinity and Nitrates still high, SG 1.024. There is also some green algae growing on another rock, and my live sand is turning white to yellow. Appreciate all responses. 65 gallon tank, with sump and skimmer. Was a used tank, so my thoughts are the longer i cycle it the better off I will be. Although I am anxious to get a maintenance crew in there.

alan.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brown plant is Aitapsia, peppermint shrimp will eat it. or chisel that part to discard it.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one on top is Atapsia. I see people IDing that one all the time. It's BAD and always recommended to be removed asap. As stated already, Peppermint Shrimp are known to eat them. Worms are usually harmless. They help the clean up crew and eat the nasty junk. Some of them can get pretty big too! Bristleworms and Fireworms should not be touched with your bare hands, as they can sting. I've even read that they can sometimes sting corals, but it's my understanding most of them are harmless. I'm not sure what that worm is tho. Read this:

Worm Hitch Hikers

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back