Pump/Sump for 60 Gallon Cube

kfoerster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did it! I took the plunge and purchased a 24 x 24 x 24 cube today. It is pre-drilled and the custom stand will be delivered within 2 weeks. Until today I had researched and decided on a 29 gallon all-in-one cube. However, taking my husband to the LFS proved to be the golden ticket and I walked away with a MarineLand 60 gallon instead. :) My tank came with plumbing and I am now researching a sump and pump. Am I correct in understanding that I need about 600 gph? Can anyone recommend a good quiet pump? I am looking at a sump on Ebay - "20 GAL HIGH SUMP KIT 24" x 12" x 17" custom protein skimmer sump aquarium filter". Hoping I am on the right track.

maxxin69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 600 should be fine, although I would go closer to 650 due to head pressure loss. That sump looks fine to me. Just make sure it fits in the sand since stands are usually thinner than the actual tank.

dailydriven911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600-700 is good but I'd go bigger and dial the pump down a little. Make sure you have at least 24 1/2 inches to play with inside the stand so you can fit the 20g high tank. I went with the Modular marine kit in white for my 20g high sump. Here's a pic for reference.

Donsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 cube sump

Check these out
I think u should wait until u get ur stand b4 u order ur sump to the right size sump that fit

Wags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the 20 will fit. I have a 5@ cube (4 in shorter than the 60) and a 24in tank would not fit. A 20 in just barely makes it

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a sicce 3.0 for my 60 cube return. on mega sale at a few online places for black friday 30% off. its about 700gph

ravenjred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump

Hi. I am getting a 60 cube also. I am ordering all of my supplies today. You have to be careful with the sump because the inside dimensions of the stand may not be wide enough. For example, the Ventura stand that these normally come with are 24" however the inside is only 22 7/8" wide. I have decided to make my own stand that will be 36" wide and 24" deep. During all of my research, one thing I have learned is that the bigger the sump, the better. As far as the pump I am going with a Water Blaster HY-5000. It is $206 from premium aquatics and has a max. flow rate of 1300gph. I will post photos as i build the stand and get the tank started. Good luck with everything.

OP
OP
K

kfoerster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all, the LFS store that sold me the tank and stand advised that a 20g High Sump would work. But to be safe, I will have him measure the inside of the floor model before I purchase anything. I will go higher on the pump as well, is there such a thing as too high?

OP
OP
K

kfoerster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600-700 is good but I'd go bigger and dial the pump down a little. Make sure you have at least 24 1/2 inches to play with inside the stand so you can fit the 20g high tank. I went with the Modular marine kit in white for my 20g high sump. Here's a pic for reference.

Dailydriven911 thank you for the picture, did you purchase your sump on Ebay? If not, do you have a link to a similar sump for purchase? Modularmarine is the Ebay store I am looking at and yours may have come from the same place, just curious.

dailydriven911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dailydriven911 thank you for the picture, did you purchase your sump on Ebay? If not, do you have a link to a similar sump for purchase? Modularmarine is the Ebay store I am looking at and yours may have come from the same place, just curious.

Yes I purchased the Modular Marine kit on Ebay. Mine is made out of white acrylic instead of black and clear though. Just buy the kit and silicone the baffles in a standard 20 high tank. It was pretty easy. Also the 20g will fit in the Ventura stand because they come with an open back but it will overhang about 2 inches. I also have a ML 60 cube I'm currently setting up and decided to build my own stand. I can fit a 24" sump and its like 6" higher to allow for more headroom underneath and a better viewing experience.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back