Voltage in the Aquarium

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the acceptable level of voltage in an Aquarium? I have about 46 to 48 volts leaking into the aquarium. It is coming from all of the equipment which is AC powered. My DC pumps account for 5 volts.

"Z"

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's insane. You definitely have some faulty equipment going in. I had 12 from a light and was shocked by it. I got it down to .5 and then added a grounding probe.

OP
OP
zemuss

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am checking the voltage with a multi-meter by putting the common (black) into ground of a electric socket and the positive into the water as shown in a video i saw. Is this the correct testing?

I think i read anything under 50 volts is ok but I want to hear from others before I make any drastic changes. This is the Reef Octopus skimmer pump and heater putting out this much voltage. I want to make sure first.

"Z"

OP
OP
zemuss

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy what are your thoughts on this?

OP
OP
zemuss

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon bump i really need some more input on this?

OP
OP
zemuss

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outlets are not GFCI and no grounding probes.

I found the issue both of the 200 watt heaters I bought (viaaqua) are faulty. I went back to the finnex 150 i had. I will be buying another finnex for a back up.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
zemuss

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a power strip hooked up but a GFCI will be good to have installed.

Right now i have no stray voltage and will pick up another finnex unit soon.

Last edited:

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad you found the issue...

imo-never use a ground probe (if you like your fish/coral anyway) with stray voltage you get shocked because you complete the circut, with a ground probe circut is completed safer for you but fish and coral are getting the shock you are worried about and for them it is constant.....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad you found the issue...

imo-never use a ground probe (if you like your fish/coral anyway) with stray voltage you get shocked because you complete the circut, with a ground probe circut is completed safer for you but fish and coral are getting the shock you are worried about and for them it is constant.....

If it is on a GFCI, it wouldn't be constant. :)

OP
OP
zemuss

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be adding a GFCI soon but also will not buy a viaAqua heater again. I will stay with Finnex.

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally seen two instances where ungrounded stray voltage caused birdsnest coral to completely loose all of it's tissue.

If you are going to use a ground probe, you MUST HAVE a properly grounded GFCI circuit powering your aquarium.

I have taken steps to replace nearly all of my equipment with DC equipment. The only thing that I have been unable to replace is my heater.

OP
OP
zemuss

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preyou I am like you. I only have two pieces of equipment now that are AC powered. If they made a dc heater i would purchase that.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, I see you live in florida. If you live south of central florida, why do you use a heater??? I live in Cocoa and Have Never used a heater. In fact I use a chiller (led lighting) and it is set for 77 degress. I have a couple of idea's that should satisfy all ( people and tank inhabinents) For us: Where shoes or have a rubber matt to stand on. There is one other methoed: Play russian rulette, as I do. Now I do have a groundind probe on one of my tanks. I did have a power head have an electrical leak, plus heaters (when I was much younger). Good Luck

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would only use One probe for all. Think about it this way. Water conducts electricity. oh yea saltwater even more so. I know, Ohh g#$ Da%^&*it. :cry:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a tank and sump system, would you need a separate grounding probe for each?

That depends. I have both since the water may not make a connection between the two in an emergency situation. But it does run some risk (at least theoretical) of a steady current flowing in one ground probe and out the other, depending on how the two grounds are connected (or not). Mine are connected at the electrical box.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back