SG and Quarantine

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, a week and a half ago I got a pair of Banggai Cardinal from a store 2 hrs away. I drip acclimated them over the course of an hour, and they seemed fine, but wouldn't eat. All parameters were good, but they both died over the course of 5-6 days.

I contacted the store and they said it sounded like I did everything right.

EXCEPT that my salinity was too high (I had it at 1.0245). They recommended it in the range of 1.017-1.021.

My question is, would the salinity kill them (they never looked shocked or breathing heavy)?

Is it advisable to add new fish to the QT each time at low salinity and bring it up to match the DT over the course of their quarantine?

Thanks.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your salinity is fine. Drip acclimating them should have "solved" the salinity issue. I have never had a fish die a few days later from something other than a disease. Out of curiousity, did you see these fish eat before purchasing? And are you sure there was not an ammonia spike?

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not see them eat (never again!).

The tank was processing 3-4ppm daily prior to adding them. I tested it every they were in there and never had an Amm or No2 >0.

Last edited:

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try a variety of different foods or just one? Sometimes fish just decide not to eat. I have had it happen and it is very frustrating. It sounds like you were doing all the right things.

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried frozen mysis, frozen bloodworms, Rod's fish, freeze dried brine, live brine and brine hatched in Selcon. They certainly weren't wanting for variety. I was panicking so I tried everything I could get.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did nothing wrong from what I can tell. The lfs just did not want to take the blame if selling you a bad fish. Your salinity is fine. That was just a load of crap. I would not shop there again imo.

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said they are getting some more on Tuesday and if I was interested they could possibly "cut me a break" on a couple.

I responded that I would not be able to get there until the weekend. I figure I'll give them one more shot (slim pickings in Mississippi), and if they hold them, get a real thorough examination of what and when they're eating, all parameters etc.

I don't know if it's the best idea, but their store is clean and well kept, fish look good, good coral selection... Or maybe I just want Banggai redemption...

Really appreciate the comments, and if you want to throw some advice my way, I would appreciate it. I just want to get this right.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Salty, you did everything right. It may be the stores fault or the fish's fault. I have only ever picked up a few fish locally, everything else has been ordered on-line and mailed. LiveAquaria.com / Divers Den is really good, (I have only ordered off divers den from them). And you are doing really great by quarantining! Exoticreefcreations.com is also awesome for fish and corals.

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dream of ordering from Divers Den with a side of nightmares thinking about what my wife will think of $80 becoming $120.

Chattering teeth.

After this experience, she might be on board tho (she named them Butch and Sundance!)

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks have suggested that Banggai's are difficult to keep and that I should look elsewhere. Does anyone here agree with this statement? I was under the impression they were hardy.

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wild Bangaii's are hard to acclimate. make sure your getting tank raised fish. when buying fish from my lfs, I make sure my qt salinity is the same as thiers. I do not acclimate. just float for temp and put them in. Bangaii's sometimes will not get along unless it's a proven pair. two males or two females will battle to the death. once your fish are finished in the qt you can slowly bring the salinity up to match the dt.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your salinity is fine. Drip acclimating them should have "solved" the salinity issue. I have never had a fish die a few days later from something other than a disease. Out of curiousity, did you see these fish eat before purchasing? And are you sure there was not an ammonia spike?

You did nothing wrong from what I can tell. The lfs just did not want to take the blame if selling you a bad fish. Your salinity is fine. That was just a load of crap. I would not shop there again imo.

+1 to both of the above statements.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you can do us set up the qt tank a lot closer to the store salinity, then raise it over a couple if weeks rather than a couple of hours. :)

+1

If you're using a qt it might be best to have low salinity because fish acclimate better to lower salinity than higher salinity.

Still, sounds like you did everything proper and the fish just weren't going to make it. A fish isn't going to wait 5 days to die if you didn't acclimate properly. Either they starved or had disease and/or parasites. If they weren't showing signs of parasites I would be willing to bet it was an internal bacterial infection given the time it took for them to die.

OP
OP
Outlaw

Outlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent them a response email 5 days ago with no response.

Just sent them this, see what happens...lol.

"I guess you guys answer your email once a week.

No response = no business.

By the way. Salinity isn't going to take 5 days to kill a fish. Pretty sure I no longer trust you.

See Ya."

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back