Green Hair Algea Overload!!

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a big problem with some green hair algae. Its primarily growing only on the rock I have all my green hairy mushrooms on, but is starting to spread across some of the other corals causing problems. I added a few more emerald crabs and a lawnmower blenny hoping they would take care of it, but they didn't. So now im hoping there is something I can dose the tank with to help get rid of it. I have tried scrubbing and doing a water change but its resistant to everything. I will attach a picture below to show you what im talking about.
some corals its effecting...
lobophyllia
pink zoas
pink plate coral

IMG_0161.jpg

rhardman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
legacy2mj- You need to find out why you are getting it. Have you checked your phosphates to see what they are at? I am guessing that you have some additional nutrients that your bacteria cannot handle. The hair allergy needs something to feed on it is traditionally phosphates

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's odd how it seems to just be on that one rock......did you add your rock from the same source, was it dry or live? especially the rock that has so much, how long has it been in there?

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock was live. Bought it with all the green mushrooms on it. My water parameters are at good levels and the water change didn't seem to do anything. I'm at a loss!

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they make a chemi clean to get rid of red cyano algae, do they make a similar type product for green hair algae that anybody has any experience with?

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Legged hermits, tominii tang depending on how big your tank is...

I have heard the green legged hermits aren't very reef safe... I have red and blue legged ones in there now, as well as a sea urchin and some emeralds... Also I have a 29 gallon coralife bio cube.... Not exactly large enough for most tangs

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think they could handle the magnitude of algae on that rock? I'm starting to consider plucking off the mushrooms and ditching the rock.

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experence I can tell you what will eat it...A Dolabella Sp. Sea Hare !!!! While deer hunting my tank pars were crazy high in phpsphates,loss of some fish and some corals,I have a 120gal. mixed reef from SPS to LPS and tons of ZOAs. I purchased 4 Sea Hares from Blue Zoo Aquatics,and their on sale,and I have to donate them to our club,Volunteer Reef Junkies,because its ALL gone they eat nothing buy algea !If there is on algea they starve to death and theres always someone out there that can use them so if I were you I would get one and when the hair algea is gone pass it forward bro !They realy do work ! :tea:

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experence I can tell you what will eat it...A Dolabella Sp. Sea Hare !!!! While deer hunting my tank pars were crazy high in phpsphates,loss of some fish and some corals,I have a 120gal. mixed reef from SPS to LPS and tons of ZOAs. I purchased 4 Sea Hares from Blue Zoo Aquatics,and their on sale,and I have to donate them to our club,Volunteer Reef Junkies,because its ALL gone they eat nothing buy algea !If there is on algea they starve to death and theres always someone out there that can use them so if I were you I would get one and when the hair algea is gone pass it forward bro !They realy do work ! :tea:

I have seen these at my LFS.. Is it too big for the 29 gallon tank I have?

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a small rock. Take it out and pluck what you can and drip hydrogen peroxide on the rest and put it back in. Then let the cleanup crew eat the dying algae. Nothing is gonna touch it in its current form.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with wangspeed, I'd take out that rock, pluck as much algae off of it manually that you can. Then put 3% hydrogen peroxide directly on the algae (don't put it on the mushrooms) let it sit for about 10 minutes, rinse off with saltwater and return to the tank. It really looks like it's that one rock that is leeching phosphates and thus causing the algae to be limited to that area. If you want to eliminate the problem as you mentioned, remove the mushrooms and ditch that piece of rock. the rest of the tank doesn't look to be having a problem with phosphates

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im considering just removing the mushrooms from the rock and ditching the rock over the other alternatives. The one issue im having with that is finding a new home for the mushrooms. I have not been particularly good at getting soft corals like the mushrooms to attach without a hermit or urchin knocking it off.... Any advise for this?? maybe a easy way to do it im not aware of. I have had this tank about 10 month but am still a rookie at this stuff.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could take the mushrooms off, put in a small container with some rock rubble pieces and let them attach on their own to the rock.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you think that would take? They would be ok out of the tank without circulation for a prolonged period of time?

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will take a period of time, I'd put the container right in the tank - maybe like a tupperware container

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back