can't control nitrate

g_acosta_02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep getting an dark orange to red color meaning high level of nitrate, have done back to back water change, but can't lower my nitrate

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no luck with the regular avenues of nitrate reduction, you could look into carbon dosing/bio pellets.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not even close. Carbon dosing is using vodka or distilled white vinegar to feed the bacteria which then reproduce and eat more ammonia and nitrate thays if I understand it correctly. It must be done along with a good skimmer. What do you do for water changes do you siphon your sand bed how often. What do you have for flow in your tank and what do you use for water rodi tap ro

OP
OP
g_acosta_02

g_acosta_02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have only done 4 to 5 water changes yes i try to siphon the sand.. don't know what kind of flow I need for a 29 gallon

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had this problem too. My nitrates were 160 and above. First off, and I'm surprised no one has asked yet, How old is your tank?

seasaltedinsrq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we need info on your tank to help you. How long has it been set up? Filtration? Powerheads? Liverock? substrate? fish? feeding? You get the idea. Then other hobbiests can help.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah what the hey. Here we go...

In order to better understand nitrates, you need to understand the nitrogen cycle.

When you first establish your tank, you won't have any bacteria in there. Nothing. Notta. Zip. You need to kickstart the system by adding some of the bad stuff, also known as ammonia. It's the first step in the process. Ammonia is released into the tank through decaying matter, such as uneaten fish food, rotting dead animals and fish waste (pee and poo). To simplify the explanation, ammonia eventually turns to a bacteria called nitrite. The nitrites feed off the ammonia. The more ammonia you have, the more nitrites you'll have.

In a few days, the nitrite is converted to Nitrates. The nitrates feed on the nitrites in the tank. See? Ammonia -> Nitrites -> Nitrates. Nitrates is the last step and this is where the problem lies, because there is NOTHING in the tank that consumes the nitrates. The only way to get ride of it (other than adding vodka or vinegar to your tank which seems risky to me) is to export it or prevent it. You export it/get rid of it manually, is to do water changes. Stay with me here. If your nitrates are 160 and you do a 50% water change, that will drop to 80ppm. Another 50% water change it will be 40ppm

It goes down, yes, but NOT if there's something in your tank that is still releasing large amounts of ammonia. Because remember? Ammonia turns Nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. So if you do a 50% water change and say you remove 80ppm of nitrates. If something in your tank releases 80ppm of ammonia, that 80ppm of ammonia will turn back to 80ppm of nitrates. So you're back to where you started. You need to figure out where the ammonia is coming from. Here are a few examples of where large amounts of ammonia can come into play.

1. A new tank with dry rock that has not been properly cleaned, which is releasing waste, die off and junk.
-This will take a long time to clear up and can only be fixed by either removing all your rock and starting over, or waiting it out patiently for 6+ months

2. Those blue filter pads can harvest nitrates.
-They need to be replaced every 1-2 weeks. If every 2 weeks, you at least need to rinse then throughly every 3-4 days.

3. Biowheels can hold nitrates
-Take it out. Those are for freshwater tanks. Not Saltwater

4. Not enough live rock or uncured live rock
- Live rock helps to remove nitrate by releasing it into the air in the form of a nitrogen gas. Live rock HELPS, but you can't rely on it entirely. You need at least 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon of water in your tank. Also, it takes about 5 months or so for your rock to "cure". Only when it has had time to "cure", will it be of any use.

5. No Skimmer
-Skimmers are nearly essential in a saltwater tank, as they remove waste BEFORE it has a chance to turn into nitrates. If you don't have a skimmer, BUY ONE.

6. Too many fish/Over stocked tank
-Fish poo and pee. If you have too many fish and your tank is overstocked, they will be releasing ammonia->nitrates quicker than you can remove it. In this case, get rid of some fish or get a bigger tank.

6. New tank
-New tanks often have problems with parameters until things level out. This maturing process can take 6 months or more, depending on your setup.

If I've missed anything, someone please correct. Hope this helps.

So the first question is "How old is your tank?"

Last edited:
OP
OP
g_acosta_02

g_acosta_02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months
150 marineland filter which I think sucks
2 chormis
2 clown fish
1 torch coral
1 hammer coral
1 duncan
1 flower coral
1 rock flower
2 cleaner shrimp
some hermit
some snail's
no power head
take a look at the pic I am a rookie at this but want to do it righ

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419181411920.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419181411920.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 231

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I suggest so far.

Get a powerhead. It's extremely important to have proper flow in your tank. If you've got a few extra dollars, I reccommend the Jebao RW-4. If you want to skimp and get something cheaper, you at least need maybe 500 gph for a powerhead/circulation pump. That will get the water flowing between your rocks and get them to mature better.

Secondly, you definitely need a skimmer. Protein skimmers will remove the wastes before it gets a change to turn to nitrate. The blue pads in your marineland, make sure you change those every 2 weeks. Rinse the blue pads off with RODI water every 4 or 5 days. Every week at the very least.

More Questions!
Where do you get your water from? Tap? Store bought? Well?
Where did you get your rock from and was it Dry base or Live?

OP
OP
g_acosta_02

g_acosta_02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got everything for my local aquarium store, rocks where in water but don't know if that means anything they where white and not fiji. but things started to get bad after I cycled the first time that I was able to buy fish and corals.. something happened.. do you think I have to things in my tank thanks for the advice gemini9

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all your rock came from lfs and in water it's probably already cured then. 2 clowns and 2 chromis in a 29 gallon is probably about all you're going to get in there for now. After you get your nitrates under control, you may be able to add one more. Keep your filter pads changed and keep on a water change schedule. Don't do too many water changes back to back, because beneficial bacteria resides in your water. Maybe 30% water change every 3 days would be pretty good. Make sure you mix your new water with salt before putting it in the tank and put a heater in your new water bucket before putting it in the tank. Your new water needs to match the old water in the tank before you put it in. Same temperature and same amount of salt.

You have probably already finished your cycle. All you need to do now is get the nitrates down.

Where are you getting your water from?

Get yourself one of these
Coralvue Reef Octopus BH50 Hob Protein Skimmer | eBay

or one of these
Reef Octopus BH100 Hang on Back Protein Skimmer | eBay
If you plan to get a larger tank down the road.

Also, get a powerhead. Very important. These are nice:
Jebao RW 4 Wireless Wavemaker with Controller for Reef Coral Tank Latest Version | eBay

OP
OP
g_acosta_02

g_acosta_02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same place as everything else all my fish, coral, clean up crew all from the same store tried to avoid any contamination from different waters

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water you get from lfs, is it out of their tank? Next time you get some of their water test it and see what the nitrate levels are.

OP
OP
g_acosta_02

g_acosta_02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah it is a big tank that he has in the back of the store... I was thinking the same thing test it before I use.. but if the nitrates are high how do I lower them before mixing it..... and you bio wheel no good for saltwater ? thanks again for the tips

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a rodi unit, It is the most important thing to get no if ands or butts about it, it will also pay off in the end. Secondly get sand sifters like a sea cucumber and a fighting conch snail. Third get some chaeto or some kind of macro algae. fourth don't add anything else until everything else is under control! :D

OP
OP
g_acosta_02

g_acosta_02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I found the problem with my nitrate out of control... my power filter is for 30 gallon tank I have a 29 gallon tank.. I have heard bigger is better lol... so I changed for a fluval 70 gallon it's supposed to have 5 stages of filtration any feedback on fluval c4

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back