Water parameters

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just recently gotten into saltwater reef tanks. It's been a rough battle in the begin however I've gotten a better handle on things. The one question that no one has explained to me is what my water parameters should be at and what are the danger levels that I want to stay away from.

I currently have a 30 rimless jbj with a hydra 52; 12 inches off the water. I have two hydro evolution 600 power heads and a tunze 3155 ato. No skimmer. Planning on upgrading soon.

Live stock:
Scarlett hermit crabs
blue leg hermit crab
purple firefish
Two black Molly's

Coral
Green frogspawn
Fire and ice polyps
Super sayian polyps
Eagle eye polyps
Radio active dragons eye polyps
A few unknown polyps

I just finished a water test and would like someone's opinion as well as what my levels should be at and what is dangerous.

Red sea test kits

Temp - 79°F
Sg - 1.024
Ph - 8.4
Alk - 7.0
Nh3 - 0.2 ppm
No2 - 0 ppm
No3 - 10 ppm
Ca - 370 ppm
Mg - 1240

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
parameters_chart.jpg

Marinedepot.com | Reef Tank Parameters

Last edited:

OceanRevive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalen, it's hard to answer what the danger areas are as it depends some on what animals you are dealing with. It's best to keep as close to the ranges that Reefing Madness' chart lists.

Getting started in saltwater can be very difficult. The variables are almost endless. But give it time and try to learn all you can, and it gets easier the longer you do it. I started with a 30g tank 10 years ago. Now I have a 180g mixed reef, 70g anemone tank, a 65g reef with no corals or anemones But lots of 'everything else' and a 24g frag tank.

Just ask a lot of questions. And don't be surprised if you get conflicting answers. There are just so many ways to run a marine aquarium.

OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for a base or general answer as far as what is best to keep reef tanks at and danger levels. I know that there is probably no set guideline cause each setup is different and it all depends on what live stock is kept within the tank.

Now with that said I have notice that reef tanks are more enjoyable the freshwater tanks, which is where I started. Have had various size tanks from 5 gal - 90 gal.

I decided for my first reef tank I would start small and I enjoy it more then freshwater and I want to upgrade to a 90 gal. I was in the process of building a new stand when I had a accident which put me out of work for four or five months depending how I heal. So everything is on hold. I also plan to make my 30 gal tank into a frag tank. I am enjoying reef tanks. It's worth the time and money.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back