New frags won't open up?

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to exotic aquarium yesterday and got a couple frags.I think one is a paly or zoa and the other one looked like blue grass when I got it.The blue grass one looks like a flat plat right now and I don't know how they all fit in that little flat space.Since I saw them at the store they have been closed.I will get a couple pics when I get home.I just started saltwater last night.I made and cured diy rock and cycled the tank with live sand. I got a hermit, chromis, 2 different kinds of damsels, the 2 frags, and 2 pounds of live rock last night.

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often times it takes corals time to acclimate to a tank before they open up. But in your case it sounds as if you just started the tank, even if its cycled you should start slowly by adding a few fish, the chromis should be fine and the hermit. What size tank do you have? But you should hold off on corals for a while until your while your tank is still breaking in. If I'm right and you just started this tank I'd think twice about going back to the lfs that would sell you all those things if they knew your tank was so new - that is just wrong.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just started the tank last night it is way too early to be adding livestock. Did you test to see what the water parameters were? With a new tank you have to add things slowly into it.

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we correct here? that you set this tank up last night? 24hrs??

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for late feedback. I had the tank sit for 2 weeks and the last 4 days there was live sand in there and the last week and a half there was diy live rock (unseeded). I got the live rock it seed it. It was already cured for awhile after I made it. The tank already cycled.

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if its just a hitch hiker because its kind smooshed inbetween two unopened palys but I think one may have opened up this night after I moved it on a rock closer the the coralife light. Is a 18" coralife 10,000 K super daylight okay for palys, anemone, kenyas, etc?

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you test to make sure the tank cycled? And are you using a single bulb 18" fixture?

Jc_ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unseeded rock takes more then a week and a half in an empty tank to become seeded and productive. Sand as well, needs more then 4 days before it is "live." Honestly, you probably overloaded the biocapacity of the tank. I've always been told and followed that it takes at least 30 days, with rock and sand in, before a tank is cycled.

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know but with the live rock in there the fish should be okay. It is going to be seeded throughout the month. The live sand was already live when I got it. I have herd that people who put in live sand can cycle it in 5 days.

preston469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe aiptasia, never have seen a paly thing move. I will say I'm very confused on your whole setup and why you added so much at once with a 2 week tank.

Have you been checking your Alk, Cal, Mag, salinity, nitrites, natrates, ammonia? If so what are your results?

I would also like to know the light fixture you have, with your tank size. All of this could explain why they aren't open.

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a 20g, I decided to do a bigger tank so I will be adding salt to a 40g tank that has been "cycling" for a year. I will give the fresh water fish to my brother or something. It is just the 18" fixture but I can add a clip on light or another 18" light. I only tested ammonia and ph and were little starfish on the glass by the time I added. ph was high 7s to low 8s the ammonia test said it was negative so that means there is no ammonia detected. I guess I did not do enough research though because the chromis died probably not completing the cycle like you guys said. I feel stupid....

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personaly I would have let the tank sit for two weeks before adding fish and 4-6 weeks longer before adding any coral... Please do the anemone a favor and not add it until the tank is 6 months old. The levels have to be perfect for anemones to survive!

So do you have any pictures of this tank and the strange thing that is moving around or whatnot?

Jc_ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the 40 gallon tank is freshwater like your hinting at, it will not be cycled by just adding salt. The micro organisms in freshwater will all die and you'll be back to square one and need to wait for the salt microbes to develop

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well I am in no hurry, I will add the salt and add the stuff in the 20g in a month or so. I will only half to cycle the tank with half of the water in it because I can just add the cycled water from the 20

Jc_ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not about cycling the water, only a tiny portion of the microbes are free swimming, it's about having the rock, sand, and even the walls of the aquarium, sit long enough for bacteria to fully colonize and the first couple of rounds of ugly algae to pass before livestock is added.

Back