Using Prazipro in Permanent Quarantine Tank

kfoerster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on building a 60 gallon cube. Since I will be adding fish slowly over the next 6 months to a year I am considering a permanent 29 gallon quarantine tank (heater, HOB filter, power head, and thermometer). I am wanting to dose all fish with Prazipro as they are introduced into QT, but only dose copper when needed. If that is my approach is there any reason why I cannot add a bit of dry rock to the quarantine tank for hiding places and maybe a shallow sand bed? I have another 10G that would be used as a hospital tank should copper be needed if symptoms present.

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently treating all my fish in a 60g qt tank with prazipro. The tank had a very low does of cupramine to knock down the ich on my powder blue and all fish are fine and eating. I have read on many occasions that cupramine and prazipro are ok together if you follow directions. I am not saying to do this because it seems like sort of a gamble but i had no choice. With that being said prazipro wouldnt mess with the biological filtration besides killing any pods, and feather dusters on the live rock. I would recommend against live rock in a qt because i started my qt with LR and the nitrates shot up as soon as i started medicating. I went to the LFS and bought some cool driftwood looking structures for the fish to hide in only because i wanted it to look nicer then PVC. As for the sand, I would only put a small tupperware of sand IF you have wrasses that need the sand to burrow in at night! I can take a picture of my qt or you can go to my recent threads to see this qt setup and get ideas.... What are you treating exactly?

OP
OP
K

kfoerster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply Keepswiming, since the QT tank will be semi-permanent while I build out the 60G tank I really want it to look somewhat like a display tank. Or as close to it as possible. I am not treating for anything specific but thinking ahead so that 'if' I have to medicate I have a plan and I'm not tearing down a tank afterwards. I understood that some use prazipro on all incoming fish as a preventative while in QT. Assuming I do that, I want to make sure the decorative items in the QT can handle it. I will forgo the sand and go w/ bare bottom.

Back