New nano tank cycling

richardp90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, need help with my fluval edge 6 gallon. This is my first saltwater aquarium so ill admit that i dont know anything. Ive done extensive research but still find myself lost. I started with caribsea live sand and caribsea aragonite which i purchased from petco. I also used real icean water from the petco brand. I was sold some dry live rock, can anybody please explain this rock for me is it really live rock or dry rock. The description was dry live rock. I have not added anything to the tank and have just been waiting for it to cycle.

I upgraded my lighting system to a fluval sea nano led system, and added a hydor koralia nano circulation pump. Also i have a 100w heater that maintains the water temp at a steady 79 degrees fahrenheit. I am using the same filter that came with tank which is a aquaclear 20 with the 3 step filter system.

So far i have been cycling for 2 weeks and am beginning to see some growth on my live rocks and sand, it looks brown. I did some research and believe this is a diatom bloom. My water parameters are PH is 8.2, ammonia is .50 PPM, nitrite is 0 PPM, and nitrate is 0 PPM.

Is this normal or am i doing anything wrong. Any advice.

OP
OP
R

richardp90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds about right. Brown is usually the diatom bloom and will go away soon enough. How high has your ammonia spiked? You should see it go down and nitrite come up. Once nitrite goes down, nitrate will go up. At that point do a large...say 50%...water change. Then get yourself a clean up crew and you can start stocking.

Some macro algae towards the back of the tank will add some color and help keep nutrients in line as well. Remember to clean out you hob filter pads regularly or just change them out.

Good luck!

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good! Take your time listen to Rayn. I did the same... After a few weeks I added a clean up crew... Don't forget to feed them. A few weeks later I added a cleaner shrimp then a few weeks later a scooter Blenny. A few weeks later 2 clowns.
I never saw the spike sometimes you miss it. Once the parameters are down and solid you are good. I tested water every other day.
Now I test maybe once a month. My params are always good as long as I do 10-20% water change a week.
For a 6 gallon tank your looking at a gallon a week.
Can you post a straight shot is like to see the aquascape!!!
Thanks

OP
OP
R

richardp90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so far my nitrite and nitrate levels have not moved from 0 and the highest i recorded the ammonia was at 1.0 PPM. Im using the API test kit which i really hate cause i seem to be color blind when im trying to match the colors. I have not cleaned out my filter pads but i will do it today. Im gonna post the straight shot in a few, but it's not my end picture. Im planning on moving the rocks around I'm just not rushing it. I love working with the tanks and learning but i hate putting my hand inside and getting wet. Dont know if im the only one.

OP
OP
R

richardp90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going for a cave effect with the top rock, but it toppled over so i might have to scratch that idea.

nanolax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you're on the right track. like the others said, your diatom bloom should be over quickly. Just remember to do that big water change before you start stocking and take it slow.

nanolax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way I like the way you arranged the live rock with that flat top positioned right in the center of the aquarium. It will be perfect for when you begin adding corals, as they will be right in the spotlight.

OP
OP
R

richardp90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 3 update:
I have been testing my water parameters and it seems like ammonia nitrite and nitrates are all at 0. Does anyone know whats going on.

love2surf927

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using? Make sure you read the instructions to make sure you are doing the test correctly. Also make sure you are reading it correctly in a well lit area. Have you done any water changes? Sounds like you may be cycled but the nitrates should be spiked with ammonia and nitrite at 0. But I'm still pretty new to all this too, just my 2 cents

OP
OP
R

richardp90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using the API saltwater master test kit, and i am following the directions correctly and giving it 5 to 10 minutes to take my readings. Everything is at 0. I haven't done any water change, but i have been toping off with distilled water. Recently I topped with the petco ocean water because my salinity was getting low.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back