New to Reefing. Wanting to build a tank.

BreakdowN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm fairly new to the hobby and I have many questions. I know some of the general knowledge behind building a Saltwater tank but there are still gray spots for me that I'm not understanding. So seeing as this was the perfect site to stumbleupon I decided to make an account and get apart of the crown and learn new things and pass on what I know. So basically I'll start with what I plan on building or what I'm stuck on building lol. I'm stuck between doing a Deep Blue Professional 60 Gallon Cube or the Deep Blue Professional 57 Gallon Rimless Edge. Both come with tank and stand but I've read mixed reviews on the stands. Seeing as there made out of particle board. So I might just buy either tank and build the stand. Also both are Predrilled and have plumbing with them. I'm leaning towards the cube and I believe I have a list of items that I plan to purchase but I'm curious to know what you guys think about what will work with my build.

Items for my build.
1. Tank: Deep Blue Professional 60 Gallon Rimless Cube Reef Ready.
2. Heater: Not sure what to get click the link and let me know what would work best.
3. Skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic 110INT 4" or should I go with Reef Octopus 150INT 6"?
4. Powerheads: VorTech MP10's or should I go with VorTech MP40's because of the thickness of the Cube glass.
5. Sump: Aqueon Modular Proflex Sump Filtration Model 2.
6. Submersible Pump: I'm not sure on what to go with. If you click the link let me know what you think is a good pump.
7. Lighting: Going with Hanging LED's and not T5's. Not sure on which yet. EcoTech Radion XR30W or something else to just start then upgrade.
8. Dry Rock: BRS Pukani or the BRS Reef Saver. I prefer not to do Live Rock because of the Hitch Hikers. I'll cure my rock for at least a month before I place it in my tank around 65lbs.
9. Live Sand: Carib Sea Fiji Pink or Carib Sea Bahamas Oolite Arag Alive going with about 4 inch deep sand bed.
10. Salt Mixtures: Red Sea Coral Pro.
11. I'm going to invest into a RO/DI system because it will be cheaper in the long run.

Thats pretty much my dream build right now if anyone has anything to say or to help me improve on my build please post below and let me know. Like I said I'm new to this and I'm only taking the knowledge of the first tank I had and trying to put it back into a dream build. Mostly this will be a Reef tank with some Fish but mostly corals SPS with some LPS. Please comment and help me out guys thanks for having me apart of this amazing community.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great build.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 123

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Looks like you have a good plan going so far. The nwb110 should be enough for that system but it never hurts to go a bit bigger. As far as a return pump take a look into the dc pumps, a few brands make them such as jeabo and reef octopus. They are quiet, adjustable, and don't use much energy. I would go with an mp40 especially now because of the recent price drop. If I were you I would buy a tank and make a dump yourself, I am not a big fan of the aqueon sumps. If you make it yourself you can build it to your needs and not work around what you buy. I agree with starting with dry rock and either would be good choices. I use Caribsea Fiji pink in my tank and I really like it so that's a good choice as well. Best of luck!

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like the eheim heaters and submersible pumps. They are very nice quality and my pump is very quiet. Make sure your skimmer and pump will fit inside your sump. Red Sea coral pro salt is awesome. I really love that salt. Just don't mix it longer than four hours. Rock is whatever you will enjoy the most. The radion is a very nice led fixture. I have one myself and it had been good so far.

OP
OP
BreakdowN

BreakdowN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like the eheim heaters and submersible pumps. They are very nice quality and my pump is very quiet. Make sure your skimmer and pump will fit inside your sump. Red Sea coral pro salt is awesome. I really love that salt. Just don't mix it longer than four hours. Rock is whatever you will enjoy the most. The radion is a very nice led fixture. I have one myself and it had been good so far.

Well that's great to know. Doesn't really matter about the heater seeing as it will be down in the Sump. Along with the skimmer and return pump.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back