New tank questions.

Eld4nte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a used 50g tank off of kijiji. It has a hole capable of fitting a 1/2 inch pvc. I want 2 3/4 pipes for my return and overflow. Is it relatively safe to drill over the old hole or should I plug it with a closed bulkhead and drill 2 new ones? Also the trim on the top is seemingly lose, does it add a lot of strength? If I could get away with it I'd like to make it rimless on the top! Thank you, this will be my first reef tank so expect lots of questions over the next few months. I appreciate the support.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a bump for you.

I'm not sure about drilling new holes where the old ones were. Maybe someone with some more glass cutting experience will pop in!

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would pop it off clean it up and silicone it back down. Not all braces are necessary but it's kinda up to you. Would depend on size of tank and glass thickness also the strength of the silicone on the tank. Age can play a factor with silicone.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back