New to Saltwater - 29G Biocube

m00rej0hn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am an aquarium enthusiast (have had freshwater for 15 years) and have finally taken the plunge into saltwater! I did tons of research and came up with my current build and livestock outline. I have not yet started the tank (waiting on rock to arrive) or the cycling process, but all Biocube modifications have been completed and I would love to know what you guys think! Thanks for looking.

Here’s a list of my Biocube 29 Modifications:

Coralife Size 29 Aquarium Stand
Coralife 29 Gallon Biocube
- Removed Bioballs and Stock Filter
Eheim-Jager 100W Heater in Chamber 1
inTank Coralife Media Basket
- Using Filter Floss, Purigen and Chemi-pure
Tunze 9001 Protein Skimmer in Chamber 2
Digital Thermometer Sensor placed below Tunze in Chamber 2
Replacing stock pump with MJ1200 once received in Chamber 3
Water line sensor for Tunze ATO placed in Chamber 3
2x Hydor Koralia 425 Circulation Pumps in the Main Display
- One front-left, Second back-right
- Added Hydor Smart Wave Controller
iSpring RCC7 5-stage RO Water Filtration System
RapidLED Dimmable Retrofit Kit for Coralife Biocube 29G (Coming Soon)

Stock List:
50 LBS Golden Marindo Premium Live rock
- Ordered from Liverocknreef.com
3†Sand Bed (30 LBS) CaribSea Arag-alive Fiji Pink Sand

(1) Scarlett Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
(1) Banded Coral Shrimp
(1) Red Sea Starfish
(15) Assorted Snails, Turbo, Hermits
(1) Yellowtail Blue Damselfish
(2) Ocellaris Clownfish
(1) Six-line Wrasse
(1) Flame Angel (under consideration)

Various Corals:
Torch Coral, Hammer Coral, Frogspawn, Pom Pom Xenia, Green Starburst Polyps, Fire and Ice Polyp, Bubble Coral, Duncan Coral, Lavender Mushroom, Ring of Fire Polyp, Tube Coral, Elegance Coral (All under consideration based on space, availability and cost)

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! You obviously did your homework on setting up the tank - good job. 50 pounds of rock, depending on density, might be a bit much? IMO a Flame Angel needs a bigger tank and a mature tank for sure. I'd also wait on getting a starfish until your tank is at least one year mature. Six-line wrasses are known to be overly aggressive? A Coral Banded Shrimp might not get along with the Cleaner Shrimp. Coral Banded Shrimp also eat a lot of the good stuff you want to have mature in your tank. At least wait for your tank to mature first. Just some thoughts for you to consider.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Looks like this is well thought out which is great to see. I agree with the tank being a bit small for the flame. Best of luck moving forward with the build!

OP
OP
M

m00rej0hn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! You obviously did your homework on setting up the tank - good job. 50 pounds of rock, depending on density, might be a bit much? IMO a Flame Angel needs a bigger tank and a mature tank for sure. I'd also wait on getting a starfish until your tank is at least one year mature. Six-line wrasses are known to be overly aggressive? A Coral Banded Shrimp might not get along with the Cleaner Shrimp. Coral Banded Shrimp also eat a lot of the good stuff you want to have mature in your tank. At least wait for your tank to mature first. Just some thoughts for you to consider.

I am considering the Flame Angel as the last fish to add because lots of people have successfully kept them in biocubes given that they are provided adequate swimming space and a variety in diet. I plan to aquascape with arches, allowing ample swim space (not the common mountain style) and will bond the rocks together before adding any animals.
The six-line wrasse actually has very good feedback for smaller reef tanks as long as you add smaller fish first and give it ample rock crevices to dart around. I plan to wait around 6 months before adding the red sea star and you are the second person to mention that coral banded shrimp are aggressive (although all the forums on them appear to be very positive).
I appreciate the feedback and will take it into consideration - I haven't started yet and still have time to decide.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 lbs of rock might be a lot in 29 gallon biocube. A flame angel needs a bigger tank also. But it seems like you are off to a great start!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see some pics.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 435
OP
OP
M

m00rej0hn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry! I will post pictures as soon as I receive my live rock and get things up and running. My live rock is a pacific import and is stuck in California, so hopefully I'll be receiving it this next week.

Thanks for the input guys, its always nice to have another opinion, even just to consider.

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed nobody has said anything about a flame angel in a tank with coral - I've always read that they're typically not reef compatible - am I mistaken in this? Flame angels are so gorgeous and I've always wanted one but everyone has warned me against it because I have coral!

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry! I will post pictures as soon as I receive my live rock and get things up and running. My live rock is a pacific import and is stuck in California, so hopefully I'll be receiving it this next week.

Thanks for the input guys, its always nice to have another opinion, even just to consider.
Excited to see your pictures! Hopefully it won't be back ordered too soon!

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my biocube set up very similar to you. The one concern I see with your stock is the 6-line. They tend to need to be the last fish introduced in the tank. They usually don't do well with new additions. I have one in my tank with 2 clownfish, green clown goby, and a midas blenny with no problems but he was also the last addition. Good luck!

CB1231

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to follow this! Its eerily similar to the set up im starting! Stand arrives today and filling it this weekend! Good luck to you!!! :)

OP
OP
M

m00rej0hn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 6-line on my list as the last fish to be added (the flame was just something i was considering, however most seem to agree that a 29G is simply too small. As for the flame being reef safe, successful flame keepers say that as long as the flame is provided a variety in diet, they typically will not go after your corals. They nip from boredom or starvation as they are opportunistic feeders.

I have decided to go with a peppermint shrimp instead of the coral-banded at the advice of some fellow reefers.

I have also began upgrading my lighting system to a RapidLED retrofit light kit using the following LEDs:
(10) Royal Blue, (2) Cool White, (2) Neutral White, (1) Warm White, (3) Cool Blue, (1) Cyan, (4) Violet UV, (1) Deep Red
They will be ran using (3) different strings and a Storm X Dimmable Controller.

Still waiting on the rock ... patience is a very hard virtue to obtain.

OP
OP
M

m00rej0hn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded both stock fans with (2) SilenX IXP-34-16 60mm case fan (16 dBA, 18 cfm)
- the stock fans are normally 37 dBA, 19 cfm (extremely loud and annoying)

OP
OP
M

m00rej0hn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added Hydor rotating water deflector
Added PVC Pipe Jawfish Condo (1" pipe in a square with entrance surrounded by live rock, drilled, buried under sand)
Getting (1) Blue Spot Jawfish

OP
OP
M

m00rej0hn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story - short, I ordered 50 Lbs of the Golden Marindo and waited about 5-6 weeks (I called several times during the period). The owner Bill finally called me to let me know they had no idea when they would be receiving GMP (they were having permit problems with all the new import/export laws the US is passing). He said it could be weeks, months, or next year before they can get it. He offered me a different type of indo rock they received called Jakarta. I got 25 Lbs of it (all they could offer me) and it was fantastic, had amazing shapes, great porosity, good colors, etc. I was going to get their Florida Cherry Primo Deco to top off the final 15 Lbs, but decided against it. Instead I ordered 15 Lbs of the "Real Reef Rock" and its really cool stuff. Its man-made and not grown in the ocean, but it has great shapes, great porosity and its got a nice purple/red color (Its not real coralline, its painted with a reef-safe something). The mixture of the two rocks looks fantastic and the Jakarta is obviously better because its an indo rock from the ocean, but, I would not be unsatisfied had I only gotten the Real Reef Rock. It really is good rock. You can always call Bill the owner and he will tell you which rock shipment they have at the time looks good. So at 40 Lbs of extremely porous rock, I am very happy with how my rockscape turned out, I will post some pictures soon.

OP
OP
M

m00rej0hn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://imgur.com/a/TMATx

Here is the album of my tank at 2 weeks of cycling. Tested parameters over the weekend, 0.2 Ammonium, 0.15 Nitrite, 0.4 Nitrate, 7.8 pH (not sure how i'm going to raise it)

There is still a lot of decay from the dead coralline algae, but its slowly disappearing. I have 3 sponges that are still alive (surprisingly) and I just started getting my diatom bloom over the last few days.

I also obtained some Halymenia (Dragon's Breath or Flame) Algae yesterday from a friend that i'm going to leave in the main display as a decorative algae for filtration and possible additional food source if anything wants it.

Going to be waiting a few more weeks before I get excited, then I'll be adding a clean-up crew from Blue Zoo Aquatics. I love the idea of this package: Ultimate Algae & Detritus Clean-Up Crew - Various for the 25 Gallon. Its one of the most diverse packages for the best price that i've found over 20 different online retailers. Anyone have any experience with Blue Zoo? Would love to hear feedback.

Thanks for looking guys! More to see in the future. Happy Reefing.

OP
OP
M

m00rej0hn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the 25 Gallon Ultimate Algae and Detritus Package from BlueZooAquatics yesterday, along with my skunk cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, brown/white hawaiian feather duster, pink/white dwarf feather duster and pink/tank/red Pom Pom Crab (no anemones, but waiting to see if they grow - BlueZoo offered to send me another if they don't show up in a few weeks - great customer service).

25G package included 6 varieties of snails, 3 varieties of hermits, 1 Tonga Fighting Conch, 1 Emerald Crab, 1 Pacific Lettuce Sea Slug

Everything acclimated very well and instantly went to work on the tank. Pink Feather Duster has been seen outside of his tube a few times, but has hidden for the most part. Hawaiian feather has been outside and open nearly 90% of the time and is beautiful!

Would highly recommend BlueZoo for great customer service, fast shipping, and everything alive (3 snails, 1 hermit possibly didn't make it, but everything else is perfect) My skunk cleaner molted within 4 hours of being in the tank.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along nicely! I think that we need some pics!! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back