Protein skimmer question

michaels2408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ASM G1X Skimmer on a 90gal system. Not much bio load currently, but Nitrates are reading 25ppm with 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia. I adjusted for a dry skim with bubbles coming to the top of the neck, but not overflowing. Problem is that I never get a foam head build up that spills into the collection cup. Only way to get something into the collection cup is to adjust for a wet skim. Is this normal?

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are describing the nature of protein skimmers. A couple questions, is this a new skimmer? A new skimmer to your system? Has it been broken in (ran for 3-7 days)?

Find a level that doesn't overflow and fill your cup up in minutes. Once you find that level, give it some time... It will take some time to adjust and then come back in a few hours and see how it's doing.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you having Issues with nitrates yes you want a wet skim to remove as much nutrients as you can. As said if this skimmer is new it will take time for it to break in. Also reduce your feeding until you get nitrates where you want them.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to get that foam high enough into the neck to get it to just pop out the top, its not neccessarily called a wet foam, its like inbetween.

austin55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new am c2 skimmer I've been running it for a couple weeks and it is still overflowing? What do I do?

austin55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is been running with the air wide open for 2 weeks. The only time it didn't overflow is when I was adding salt to the tank does this mean anything?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is been running with the air wide open for 2 weeks. The only time it didn't overflow is when I was adding salt to the tank does this mean anything?

What's the depth the skimmer is running in?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will settle down here shortly. They all break in differently. There is a resin on the acrylic for storage reasons, and has to come off before it will work correctly. Most would give it a vinegar soak bath before using, this tends to knock that break in period down a bit.

OP
OP
michaels2408

michaels2408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen so many different opinions, including the ones provided at the store I purchased the equipment. I was told that Dry skim is good, but wet skim gets more nitrates out with a loss in salt content. Easily correctable by adding fresh salt water when skimmer dumped.
Another opinion I saw was wet skim produced less waste removal including solids. Dryer bubbles capable of lifting more solids to the top of the foam head, so more waste, less waste water.
My thoughts. If there is water in the collection chamber, then solid wastes lifted to the top would flow into the chamber and hopefully sink instead of overflowing. However, the overflow would just go back into the skimmer and be caught in the bubbles again, thus a continuous trapping with some being reintroduced into the tank.

Dry skim is bubbles to the neck but not overflowing when collection canister is off skimmer. Wet skim is bubbles flowing up neck with more water content.
Please enlighten me. What is the measurable science behind the adjustment and use of protein skimmers, and where can this information be found?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some good articles on the how's and why's of skimming if you google or check out my "mcarroll's favorite links" thread in the chemistry section, but in a nutshell:

Wetter is better - mostly for two reasons:

A) more wastes are removed. remember, undissolved gunk (that which you see) isn't the only gunk you want out of the tank. (DOC = dissolved organic carbon)
B) wet skimming keeps your skimmer's insides cleaner, longer. A cleaner skimmer skims more and better.

Dryer is only better if you don't have a good mechanism (e.g. water changes) for dealing with salinity changes. The amount of water removed per week due to wet skimming should be minuscule in terms of affecting salinity, BTW. Worth being aware of so you can keep an eye on it, but not worth worrying about day-to-day for most people. (I have always wet skimmed and due to two-part dosing, my salinity still goes up....so you may never see this issues at all.)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back