Miracle Mud. Worth it or No?

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am in the process of designing my 30 breeder sump for a 75g reef tank.

I am going to have a sizable refugium including a 5" Deep Sand Bed (DSB).

My question is: Is Miracle Mud worth the price? Worth the hassle of a 50% swap out annually - OR - Is regular sugar fine sand acceptable?

The display tank (DT) will have a 2" deep sand bed for aesthetics.

Thank you!
AA

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you need at least 6" for a DSB and no MM is not worth it.
For a DSB use regular sand.

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had tanks with mm and Fiji mud and without I can't comment on any noticeable difference between either brand or tanks without it all together Fiji mud was just a mess I can say that tho

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks d2mini - I have read anything from 4-6". I could honestly do 6" but would prefer the extra space for chaeto and/or space for backflow in the event of a power outage.

I think 5" deep should suffice given that it is a 30 breeder so will be 10" long x 17" wide x 5" deep. Thats a lot of surface area to react..

Thanks Kacro. I will most likely use straight sand for simplicity sake.

9balliw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping I figured it was worth the risk and investment I just put 20 lbs of mm in my sump 3 trays 16" x12" x 1" Trying to stay with it and algae scrubber as only filtration is my goal. But I won't sell my skimmer and dual reactor for awhile tho
image.jpg

ja4207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garbage, hocus pocus, snake oil and last and most importantly completely false claims and advertisement.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the purpose of a dsb to get the anaerobic bacteria that would collect in the bottom of the sandbed where it is depleted of o2? Wouldn't that mean deeper is better and surface area really is not as important? Ig it was about surface area why would it need to be deep?

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface area was perhaps the wrong wording. You are correct about depth/anaerobic bacteria.

The point I was trying to make is the area the DSB will occupy is large.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
didn't mean to argue I was honestly curious trying to make sure I understand these things. :)

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just made a new thread called DSB function if you have a moment check it out maybe you can help me understand more

Dnahacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with just about everything above, the reason you don't need do have a 6 inch deep mud bed is simple.. particle size, to achieve a icroaerophillic environment with sand takes a depth of 6 inches simply down to the dynamics of diffusion, bigger mesh (particle size) means ware moves more freely through the substrate Taking oxygen with it.. surface area is important in as much as the mud bed size has to be proportional to your system size.

I also thin the added benefit of Mud come from its ability to release trace elements back into the system... In my last system I had no issues with nutrients but I added a hob mud five as much for the pod farming as anything, the difference in the colours I saw in my acros was substantial, it does make a difference.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with just about everything above, the reason you don't need do have a 6 inch deep mud bed is simple.. particle size, to achieve a icroaerophillic environment with sand takes a depth of 6 inches simply down to the dynamics of diffusion, bigger mesh (particle size) means ware moves more freely through the substrate Taking oxygen with it.. surface area is important in as much as the mud bed size has to be proportional to your system size.

I also thin the added benefit of Mud come from its ability to release trace elements back into the system... In my last system I had no issues with nutrients but I added a hob mud five as much for the pod farming as anything, the difference in the colours I saw in my acros was substantial, it does make a difference.

I just read a very interesting article that says that larger size will prevent microfono from being able to move freely thereby hurting the populations and the export. It recommended for a true DSb to be a particle size between. 05 and .2. Specifically .125 is best for a good diversity.
http://www.ronshimek.com/deep_sand_beds.html

Last edited:

Dnahacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on your motivations for adding the bed in the first place...if it is for denitrification then I wholeheartedly stand By what I posted above,if species diversity is your aim then I would suggest a rubble zone and / or cryptic zone would be a good option. DSB's are great if they are looked after, however if it goes anoxic it will produce hydrogen sulphide you could easily end with a wipe out on your hands. can a sump be all things to all men ?

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the purpose of this article was the denitrification. It says that the creatures that are helpful in this are inhibited by larger pieces.also states that there is a little scientific proof of the hydrogen sulfide being a problem. it does say that it will collect in the lower levels of the sand bed but that it is not as much of a problem as some would have you believe. You should read the article its really good

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I misspoke I should have said the purpose of the article is nutrient export including all parts of the nitrogen cycle

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can still have a ruble zone, just not in your sandbed. I am Not sure what a cryptic zone is have to look that one up

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back