Set up a new reef aquarium

wprata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I got a new Red Sea Max C-130 tank, 130 litres (34 gallons) fully featured reef-spec system, and I've been reading and researching about saltwater aquariums and realized that this topic can become very complex and delicate. I finished to assemble everything and the tank is ready to set up. I want it as a reef aquarium with some few little creatures and I know that everything in it must be "compatible".

I read that this little 'ecosystem' needs to mature before I start adding corals and live to it.

I have the RO filter ready too and I will make my own salt water. So, my initial question is: what is the best salinity level to start with the live rocks and considering that later I will add corals and other little creatures, like small fishes, shrimps, etc.

I want to make sure that I will start everything right so that I don't need to re-do anything because an "stupid" mistake. :)

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.023 is fine to cycle and with fish but when you add coral bumo it up to 1.025
Hi guys, I got a new Red Sea Max C-130 tank, 130 litres (34 gallons) fully featured reef-spec system, and I've been reading and researching about saltwater aquariums and realized that this topic can become very complex and delicate. I finished to assemble everything and the tank is ready to set up. I want it as a reef aquarium with some few little creatures and I know that everything in it must be "compatible".

I read that this little 'ecosystem' needs to mature before I start adding corals and live to it.

I have the RO filter ready too and I will make my own salt water. So, my initial question is: what is the best salinity level to start with the live rocks and considering that later I will add corals and other little creatures, like small fishes, shrimps, etc.

I want to make sure that I will start everything right so that I don't need to re-do anything because an "stupid" mistake. :)

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^^...well said above by both, but I will add

Plenty of patience and research will be key.

#1 mistakes made are in the first month or two.....

OP
OP
wprata

wprata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it all done and now I have my tank in cycling period with live rocks (cured) and waiting for things to "mature".

I know the water temperature is very critical for a reef tank and right now I am having a hard time trying to stabilize the water temperature in the tank. I have a Marineland Precision Submersible Heater 200Watt and 3 thermometers in the tank. I'll name them T1,T2,T3 and T4.

T1 - Marina Floating Thermometer w/ Suction Cup
T2 - heater temp display
T3,T42 - Corallife Digital Thermometer (Mounting suction cups, battery and 39" long temperature probe cord included)

Current temp readings:

T1 -> 82F
T2 -> 79F
T3 -> 83.5F
T4 -> 67.9F

Something looks definitely wrong with T4.

The tank is in a ventilated area, not near windows or heating.

What is the best way to adjust the water temperature? What is the best way to get an accurate temp reading? Is there any reliable thermometer?

T4.jpg
T3.jpg
T2.jpg
T1.JPG

OP
OP
wprata

wprata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting system is 110W (2 X 55W) T5 Power Compact, but I am keeping the lights on only 2 hours per day, to avoid algae during this cycling/stabilizing process.

The issue with the temperature is the same without the lights.

OP
OP
wprata

wprata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't think that lighting is of concern at this time, it will be once I start adding livestock and will need to keep it turned on at least 8 hours per day. For now, during the cycling step, I'm looking to see how to stabilize the water temp with the heater and thermometers. For now, I keep the lights on for 2 hours only and even with the lights off I keep reading inconsistent temperatures.

OP
OP
wprata

wprata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I finally completed the cycling process of my tank. I measured all chemicals 2 days ago and they're all within expected range. I added about 10 invertebrates ( snails and hermit crabs) to the tank and 2 small clown fishes.

I noticed that the water does not look 100% chrystal clear and I smell a strange odor too, which I can't describe. I don't think it's normal.

I have a sump on the back of the tank, which contains the protein skimmer, one small bag of carbon on the media rack and a foam to filter the water.

Am I missing or overdoing something that's is causing the water not to be 100% clear and creating the odor?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I finally completed the cycling process of my tank. I measured all chemicals 2 days ago and they're all within expected range. I added about 10 invertebrates ( snails and hermit crabs) to the tank and 2 small clown fishes.

I noticed that the water does not look 100% chrystal clear and I smell a strange odor too, which I can't describe. I don't think it's normal.

I have a sump on the back of the tank, which contains the protein skimmer, one small bag of carbon on the media rack and a foam to filter the water.

Am I missing or overdoing something that's is causing the water not to be 100% clear and creating the odor?

Can you list your test results? Is the water cloudy? Discolored? As far as the odor, could it be from the skimmer?

OP
OP
wprata

wprata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi glb, thanks for replying. I will run the tests again today, as I made some adjustments with supplements 2 days ago. I will post the new results soon.

OP
OP
wprata

wprata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still working on the fresh test results... meanwhile, what is the difference between a "reef aquarium" and a "coral reef aquarium"? I've been reading about marine parameters and they have different guidelines of acceptable water parameters.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still working on the fresh test results... meanwhile, what is the difference between a "reef aquarium" and a "coral reef aquarium"? I've been reading about marine parameters and they have different guidelines of acceptable water parameters.

To me they're the same thing. Maybe the different numbers are for fish only SW tanks vs tanks with corals. Those numbers are different.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me they're the same thing. Maybe the different numbers are for fish only SW tanks vs tanks with corals. Those numbers are different.

I agree.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back