HELP! My corals are not looking good

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon reef that has been running for about 6 months or so. I have 25lbs of live rock a Trigger systems cube sump with a Vertex 130 skimmer Mag7 return pump and a Tunze6040 for circulation. Radion 15pro 3 lighting set at 65 percent and the color preset schedule. I have done 4, 10 gallon water changes in the last 2 weeks the water is crystal clear. I have chemi pure elite, Puritan and cuprisorb in my sump. Temp is set to 79, salinity 1.025, nitrites are 0, ammonia 0 ph 8.2 nitrates less than 5.0 ppm calcium 420. I am at a total loss, there is no algae growth and the water looks great but my zoanthids or xenia will not open at all. I tried a couple crabs one arrow and one emerald and they died within 24 hours. Any help would be appreciated. I am a first timer here so be gentle.
Thanks, larry

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I would like to know as well. What type of water? Did you make it or buy it? Are you sure about your salinity? Did you clean out the hydrometer or calibrate a refractometer?

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries Larry ask any question you want. What about snails? Do you have any alive in the tank or are they dying to? What test kits are you using? How long have they been closed up? Did anything change around that time, such as equipment, or even just changing filter media? How long have you had the xenia and zoas? The crabs dying could indicate something contaminating the water. What do you use to check your salinity? I would definitely run lots of GAC right now and change it often and a large 50% water change to start. If there is something in the water that will help get rid of it.

OP
OP
nitro

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
Thanks for all the help I am using RODIN water tested from a local store. I am using a refractive tear to check salinity and api test kit to do my tests. No snails have a few small hermits one small clown and one small goby they are all fine. I added the sump in December and let the tank settle in with that till two was ago I added a few soft corals and they never opened or showed any good signs.the water is crystal clear. I put in the arrow crab on Monday and he was dead the next day same with the emerald crab.
Thanks,l
larry

OP
OP
nitro

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same salt and salinity 1.025..... I am thinking it is something bad in the water because the crabs and I also lost 2 peppermint shrimp within a 24 hour period, but the fish seem fine. None of the corals will open not even a polyp or two. Very frustrating.
Larry

OP
OP
nitro

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, just completed a 50% water change and a thorough cleaning. I am using chemi pure elite so should I pull that and go with the carbon and if so how often should I change it out? The chemi pure is a week old. Should I invest in a carbon reactor? I am willing to try anything at this point.
Thanks,Larry

OP
OP
nitro

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.... I have done several water changes, 3/9 5gal 3/11 5gal 3/13 5 gal 3/15 15 gal 3/22 10 gal..
Temp 79
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5ppm
Eg 1.026
magnesium 1040
All 8.4 sky
Calcium 350
And I add a new great looking Zenia and 24 hours later it is pulled in and not looking to good. Any ideas????

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The xenia didn't do well because your water is too clean. They like a bit of nutrients in the water

Try pulling out all filtration media for a while and see if it helps

Last edited:

Jayman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The xenia didn't do well because your water is too clean. They like a bit of nutrients in the water

Try pulling out all filtration media for a while and see if it helps
exactly what I was thinking.

OP
OP
nitro

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give it a try, but this has been happening with other types of corals also. I even lost 2 crabs in 3 days. That is why I did the major water changes. I am afraid of adding any more coral. The Xenia is all that I have in my tank, other than fish.
Larry

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the part where you're losing inverts. This does seem like it could be copper with all that going on

rhardman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump that you added in December was it new or used? I have been told that some plastics will hold copper in them. I think that you might have two things going on personally.

First the water is too clean for the xenia and zoas. I would slow down on water changes.

Second I think that you have some type of contaminants in the system. Copper or Iodine I have heard that hermits can live in low leaves of copper, unlike emeralds and shrimp.
I would check with Scott at Unique Coral / Triton US and see if they can test for the contaminants.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back