A little help (a little Impatient i'd admit)

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** This is longer than I intended to type... **

No need to start over as any damage has already been done. Now is the time to react slowly and let the biological processes fix things...

A couple notes:

1. Tap water is a big no-no, even for starting a tank. Most people don't know what's in their tap water and you could have some contaminants that are safe your you, but not safe for the fish... However if you know your water well, it may be doable... What was the TDS of your tap water?

2. Tangs in a 30 gallon tank are also a big no-no. You may get away with it for a little while, but they will not do well long term. The saying "I'll upgrade when he grows up" hardly ever happens. It's best to stock your tank with what will be good in there long term.

3. I see a canister/HOB filter in the tank... While they CAN work, they are not the best choice for saltwater as they can become nitrate factories when they get dirty. Again most people say "I'll clean it weekly" but that doesn't always last long term and they run into issues. Consider ditching the canister/HOB and getting a hang on back skimmer. Or if you feel adventurous, drill the tank and add a sump... I will never have a sumpless tank ever due to the flexibility of the system and the increased water volume. It is well worth the effort.

4. I see an SPS frag in that tank at the top... 2 months is a very short time to be adding corals, especially SPS corals.

5. LFS not concerned with helping you is a red flag for me. You need to find a different LFS or consider getting your stuff online... It sounds like the LFS is seeing a new wet-behind-the-ears hobbiest and knows he can make some money off your mistakes. Even if he leads you down that path to failure... Take your business elsewhere and show them you don't appreciate their lack of help.

What I would do next:

1. Get an RODI unit so you can make your own water. This way YOU have control over the purity of the water you are using. You could even win one in the following contest if you enter:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/r2...3897-barracuda-giveaway-sponsored-aquafx.html

2. Turn off your lights for a few days to help kill off the algae cycle. You don't need lights on while cycling the tank. By the way, what are you running for lights anyway?

3. Add a dead shrimp from the grocery store (fresh if possible) in a filter bag (Cut off pantihose work great and are cheap). Let it sit in the tank and rot to create your ammonia. If the tank is cycled, you will not see an ammonia spike after the addition of the shrimp. The bag is there to keep it together for easier removal...

4. Most important though is your self-admitted lack of patience. You will get nowhere in this hobby without first learning patience. Lack of patience is what forces people out of this hobby due to repeated and excessive failure. Read the threads in the newbie section of Reef2Reef. Learn more about the tank and the biological cycles. Learn about proper support of corals and their requirements. Use to forums to learn from other people's mistakes so you can avoid them in your path in the hobby. In the end, patience is needed so you can tell yourself to slow down and learn before making educated choices...

The first thing to read and learn about is how to treat Ich successfully... 8 weeks minimum, 11 is better with zero fish in the tank... But read to find out why.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Phil501

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off thank you everyone for your help…it is greatly appreciated…..I did start with tap water but since diatom bloom been doing regular water changes with RO/DI water….my lights are coral life with 2x blue and 2x white t5 with lunar lights….and the LFS is the only one within 30 miles of me so I have to consider that…..i’m thinking about just making this one a reef only tank and starting a bigger one after more planning and reading, since I failed at this attempt due to rushing it and bad advice….

No need to start over as any damage has already been done. Now is the time to react slowly and let the biological processes fix things...

A couple notes:

1. Tap water is a big no-no, even for starting a tank. Most people don't know what's in their tap water and you could have some contaminants that are safe your you, but not safe for the fish... However if you know your water well, it may be doable... What was the TDS of your tap water?

2. Tangs in a 30 gallon tank are also a big no-no. You may get away with it for a little while, but they will not do well long term. The saying "I'll upgrade when he grows up" hardly ever happens. It's best to stock your tank with what will be good in there long term.

3. I see a canister/HOB filter in the tank... While they CAN work, they are not the best choice for saltwater as they can become nitrate factories when they get dirty. Again most people say "I'll clean it weekly" but that doesn't always last long term and they run into issues. Consider ditching the canister/HOB and getting a hang on back skimmer. Or if you feel adventurous, drill the tank and add a sump... I will never have a sumpless tank ever due to the flexibility of the system and the increased water volume. It is well worth the effort.

4. I see an SPS frag in that tank at the top... 2 months is a very short time to be adding corals, especially SPS corals.

5. LFS not concerned with helping you is a red flag for me. You need to find a different LFS or consider getting your stuff online... It sounds like the LFS is seeing a new wet-behind-the-ears hobbiest and knows he can make some money off your mistakes. Even if he leads you down that path to failure... Take your business elsewhere and show them you don't appreciate their lack of help.

What I would do next:

1. Get an RODI unit so you can make your own water. This way YOU have control over the purity of the water you are using. You could even win one in the following contest if you enter:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/r2...3897-barracuda-giveaway-sponsored-aquafx.html

2. Turn off your lights for a few days to help kill off the algae cycle. You don't need lights on while cycling the tank. By the way, what are you running for lights anyway?

3. Add a dead shrimp from the grocery store (fresh if possible) in a filter bag (Cut off pantihose work great and are cheap). Let it sit in the tank and rot to create your ammonia. If the tank is cycled, you will not see an ammonia spike after the addition of the shrimp. The bag is there to keep it together for easier removal...

4. Most important though is your self-admitted lack of patience. You will get nowhere in this hobby without first learning patience. Lack of patience is what forces people out of this hobby due to repeated and excessive failure. Read the threads in the newbie section of Reef2Reef. Learn more about the tank and the biological cycles. Learn about proper support of corals and their requirements. Use to forums to learn from other people's mistakes so you can avoid them in your path in the hobby. In the end, patience is needed so you can tell yourself to slow down and learn before making educated choices...

The first thing to read and learn about is how to treat Ich successfully... 8 weeks minimum, 11 is better with zero fish in the tank... But read to find out why.

A+Aquatics

Rare Coral Curator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I just start over???
DEFINITELY NOT!

You still have a great start, ya just took off from the starting gate a bit too soon ^_^

Also, I would keep it front and center in the living room. It might keep you on your toes :p

Do no hide your mistakes. This is just the beginning, keep going, do not quit!

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off thank you everyone for your help…it is greatly appreciated…..I did start with tap water but since diatom bloom been doing regular water changes with RO/DI water….my lights are coral life with 2x blue and 2x white t5 with lunar lights….and the LFS is the only one within 30 miles of me so I have to consider that…..i’m thinking about just making this one a reef only tank and starting a bigger one after more planning and reading, since I failed at this attempt due to rushing it and bad advice….

Remember unless you are changing out 100% of the water (not recommended) you are just diluting the tap water already in the tank... Not critical but keep that in mind when thinking about water changes. 10 10% water changes does not change 100% of the water. It is a dilution factor that can get complicated...

Being the LFS is the only one within 30 miles, I would still consider taking your business elsewhere... Equipment you can buy easily online. Livestock is a little harder, but if he is giving bad advice, how healthy is his livestock? I'd be a bit worried about that. If you continue to buy livestock there, consider setting up a QT tank for all new additions. It is a very important step to making sure no new parasites or diseases get into the established tank...

Does your T-5 light have individual reflectors for each lamp? This has a significant affect on the amount of light that reaches the depths of the tank. Also when time to replace the lamps, consider checking out the ATI line of lamps. They have consistently tested higher PAR than other brands and have a very nice color with the many different lamps they offer.

You have a nice start... Just slow down and research ALL decisions before making them. If you want to, ask the questions here and compare what the LFS told you to do to what R2R members say is the best choice...

OP
OP
P

Phil501

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is an update

20150329_091552.jpg

brooks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good. It will be nice once things get going. While you wait, you can set up a fresh QT, get it cycled, and a add a fish to monitor. It will give you something to do in the mean time. QT's are important no matter where you get your fish. I just had a fish come in from ORA live aquaria which developed ich 3 days in.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!! :)

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is key in this hobby and so is research. You are learning from your mistakes. Keep us updated and ask questions.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A couple notes:

What I would do next:

This is great, sound advice. The only thing I have to add is that you have to weed through people comments on the forums and be able to recognize when someone might not know what they are talking about. The stickies on each section are full of good advice and information.

If you just do a lights out stint for a few days that brown stuff will go away. Since there's no corals that shouldn't be an issue. Definitely at the v very least read and understand the ich life cycle before continuing with any fish. It is very easy to eliminate forever in your system, not sure why anyone would suggest any different.

OP
OP
P

Phil501

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone....here is another update....diatoms are completey gone...i removed the HOB filter....Nitrate levels are still high but no Nitrite or Amonia

new.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back