Lights for a 120 gallon reef

BenHyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon tank that's 48 x 24 x 24. I want to do a mix of mostly sps and some lps, and softies. I want to know what are some of the cheapest light fixtures/combination of light fixtures that I can use for this tank. I would like to keep it under $500. I really like metal halides but am not liking the cost it would be to run them. Any suggestions?

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders photon 48......love mine and so do the corals.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427423048.357954.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gu10 bulb fixture like mine (DIY) but sized for your tank would cost less than $300.

I don't know of a better/cheaper lighting solution. It's also the simplest to wire up by far as the bulbs are AC powered.

Compared to the other suggestions, this will also spill a lot less light into the room and use significantly less power too.

It is not dimmable, full spectrum or anything else that brings no benefit to coral growth. ;) (Custom bulbs are no problem, so you could make it full spectrum if you were so-possessed.)

Holler if interested in this DIY route. Link.

-Matt

Last edited:

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid half that for two Chinese dimmable led fixtures for my 120. no sps but my softies and lps are doing fine. lights run at 50% so I don't think sps' would be a problem. If I ever upgrade It will be the Photon 48.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically when I mentioned "<$300" I was being conservative....in case you don't have a lot of DIY supplies and opt for any bulb upgrades, etc. A bit more conservative than I realized...haven't priced equipment lately.

At current market prices, you could spend as little as <$150.

That includes bulbs and sockets. You supply wire, connectors, something to serve as the mounting fixture, and an AC connector cable.

I always make the last two recycled items for maximum savings. One or two old T5 or power compact fixtures that are hangable can recycle into nice gu10 fixtures. A dead appliance is a good source for cords with AC plugs. Two prongs are all that's needed. :)

$0.02

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back