Making a 20 gallon sump...

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I've been wanting to finally add a sump to my 55 gallon tank, the final straw was when I got a deal on a bubble magus curve 5 skimmer which is for a sump only, and also a good return pump, and overflow box I haven't had too much luck so far online with really explaining how things work, and with my phone I can't search too much on here so any links would be appreciated but it would be really nice to have someone explain it and maybe post pictures

From my understanding you have to make chambers in the sump? Or can I just use the 20 gallon tank with no chambers if I'm only going to have my skimmer and possibly a heater in there? Also what kinds of other supplies would I need in order to do everything... with my work schedule it makes finding good articles online very difficult and so far everyone on here has always helped... my tank is FOWLR

SaltedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't make a sump without baffles. This is how i have my 20Long set up. Without baffles, sureley you would have an issue with micro bubbles. also having baffles gives you a chance to have a fuge area.
Sump.jpg

OP
OP
JZ199

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I finally got a break from work tonight and got to do a little reading, pretty much I would want my return water from the tank to go in one section, then live rock ect.. in the next section, and my skimmer at the end with my return pump

SaltedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put your skimmer on the opposite baffle of your return pump. Most skimmers output water that include alot of micro bubbles and your return pump will suck them up and make a mess of your DT. traditionally you put your skimmer in the first section where the water inputs from the tank.

OP
OP
JZ199

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow I was looking at it completely backwards lol, that definitely makes alot more sense, would putting my heater down there also be a good idea?

SaltedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definatley. I have my heater in the overflow because it was too long to fit in my 20L sump, but you can put it in any section you want that will fit. Pretty much, for what you want, the picture i posted earlier is a perfect setup for you.

graham_kyle1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same as your going with....curve 5 skimmer and eheim pump in a 20 g sump.....I have 9 inch skimmer area which the overflow drains into, bubble trap baffles into fuge and about 5 inch space for return pump baffled after the fuge.....works quite well

The-Russ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put your skimmer on the opposite baffle of your return pump. Most skimmers output water that include alot of micro bubbles and your return pump will suck them up and make a mess of your DT. traditionally you put your skimmer in the first section where the water inputs from the tank.

+1. If you add baffles you need to do this or they are pointless.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back