Play sand

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two problems with playsand.....

Most (if not all) are silica based sands......you want aragonite (carbonate) based sand.

Many sandbox sands are treated with unknown stuff to keep the little tikes safe from nasty bacteria and stuff.

I can't remember the name, but years ago there was one brand that was argonite and clean.....no longer available.

Last edited:

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't risk it, our tanks are such an investment of time and money, no reason to use a substrate that can cause lots of problems; I would advise only a high quality substrate made for reef tanks or going bare bottom if that suits you.

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put one grain of the stuff in my tank

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't risk it, our tanks are such an investment of time and money, no reason to use a substrate that can cause lots of problems; I would advise only a high quality substrate made for reef tanks or going bare bottom if that suits you.

Agreed. Imo too big of a risk and if you have problems you'll have to break down the entire tank to fix it, which is an enormous deal. If finances are a prob, which is common for this hobby, I'd wait on something else rather than the sand. Live sand is an enormous help in maintaining water quality. Good luck!

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What everyone else said. Don't even risk it. If its a money issue hold off save up and buy proper reef grade substrate. Take your time don't rush anything.

OP
OP
Knoxjoelee

Knoxjoelee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well my stupidity I used it already can I save my water an suck out the sand an put my water back in?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't....very fines are there and won't be removed when you suck out the sand. I'd break it down and rinse everything....rocks, equipment and tank....and start over.

OP
OP
Knoxjoelee

Knoxjoelee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all I have in there is sand right now nothing else waiting on cannister filter should be here Thursday

mcmunn93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't risk it. If you don't u will regret it and will have to rip apart your tank

OP
OP
Knoxjoelee

Knoxjoelee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't took it all out started all over, went with some crushed coral

mrjlopez731

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a beginner can make a mistake like this. If you take this hobby seriously that you get or asks for advice before trying something on your own. Like the name alone to make you uneasy. Play sand says it all, leave that for the kids. If that is the case to financially you can't afford it, then go bare bottom, it works for others so it should also work for you to. Don't take any chance when it comes to your personal tank.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are off to a better start now. As everyone mentioned be very careful with what you add to your tank ALWAYS! Something minor can turn into something serious down the road. Glad you posted your question and saved yourself a lot of headaches. We are always here to help so never hesitate to ask a question

hllywd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes or no will it work? And can it work givin time?

I'm not sure what time would have to do with anything. If the stuff you used is bad, it's bad. However from experience, some play sands are perfectly fine for reef aquarium use.

Southdown used to market a play sand that Home Depot carried that was supposed to be aragonite, go to RC and do a search, there was lots of discussion about finding it. Many people used it with a lot of success. I found it, or something similar, at WalMart under the Kolorscape brand. I used it for a 3" sand bed in my old 120, then transfered it to my current 210 when I upgraded 3 summers ago. I wasn't able to find the Kolorscape then, and added 3 (IIRC) bags of CaribSea to it. Never any problems with the "play sand" I used, and $3 vs $12 or $15 was well worth it. The Kolorscape sand has been in my system since 2008 or 2009 when I set up the 120.

I also have a friend who used silica sand in a 60 cube for several years until he lost interest in the hobby. It always looked funny to me because it was translucent and under the MH lighting he had the whole sand bed sort of glowed. He never had any algae problems, to the contrary the tank was always very clean.

As for the buffering capabilities of aragonite some say you have to have... I would counter what about those with BB tanks? Can't say I've ever heard of play sand being treated with chemicals with the intent to kill bacteria, or otherwise. I'm sure that information would cause a firestorm if isn't disclosed on package.

As far as I'm concerned if you can find a nice white calcerous sand marketed as play sand it may be an economical solution. I don't know if there is anything out there as I haven't been in that discussion for several years now.

cymonous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't took it all out started all over, went with some crushed coral

While crushed coral is a better choice than playsand, it is more porous and can store/release nitrates. My first tank had a mix of live sand and crushed coral. I had nitrate issues until I moved and changed to all new dry aragonite sand.

ArtbyWilliamE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use it unless it is aragonite . If not you will have diatoms.its possible you will have to tare down the tank eventually.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back