How to set up float switch for sump return pump

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting ready to set up my sump recently, but after doing more and more reading my inner anxiety is getting the best of me over using a HOB overflow box since my tank is not drilled, what I would like to do and seen that some people have done is install a float switch that controls the return pump in my sump, that way if syphon ever breaks or something else goes wrong and water isn't being returned to my sump, once the level gets so low it will stop the pump from pumping everything into my DT, but my question is so far all floats I seen just have 2 wires that come out, do I have to splice them into the wiring of my return pump? Or I feel like there has to be an easier (and safer) way like maybe something that the pump and float both plug into?

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Neptune Apex is the cure for all that ails you!

printerrob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could lol, not with my current budget though... this looks like something that may work pretty good?

AutoTopoff.com

That may work but i would see if your able to reverse the polarity (I think) most float switches when the water level gets too low it turn whatever its connected to on and when the water level goes back up it shuts off for your application you would want it to shut off once the water level got soo low. I think you would be better with a controller like vicd81 suggested.

but if money is very tight like it is for me right now you could look into an overflow box that has an aqua lifter pump on it like this Amazon.com : CS100DX Deluxe Model Overflow Box w/ Lid & AquaLifter Pump : Aquarium Filters : Pet Supplies

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That AutoTop kit should work.

DIY would be something like this (not sure if that specific relay voltage applies in this situation):

ddavies564 said:
duge5uzy.jpg

That may work but i would see if your able to reverse the polarity (I think) most float switches when the water level gets too low it turn whatever its connected to on and when the water level goes back up it shuts off for your application you would want it to shut off once the water level got soo low. I think you would be better with a controller like vicd81 suggested.

All you have to do is flip the switch around...

OP
OP
JZ199

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! All this stuffs been extremely helpful, I've been busy reading away while waiting for everything to come in lol... would I be able to buy and use an aqualifter pump with my eshopps overflow? I've heard about people doing that also, if not I'll have to try to sell my overflow and get something like posted

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back