Temp question

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 12g nanocube always stayed at about 78 degrees with the lid on. I mounted the lid over the tank yesterday and the temp this morning was 74. Our house AC is set at 73 so my guess is the tank will probably settle there. Right now I have a clownfish, some cuc and a few LPS. Should I consider a heater? I plan on sticking with LPS and softies. The lid used to protect the tank from drastic temp changes, which sometimes but rarely happen in south Florida. What's everyone's thoughts about an ideal temp to maintain? I know stability is more important than an actual number but I'm just curious.

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends more than anything on your stock but fo rgeneral reefs you want between 77-80. I deally you want to avoind big swings in temp from day to night.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Is any one brand recommended? Is marineland ok or should I steer clear?

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim from what I've read are pretty reliable but then again no heater is 100% reliable.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Is any one brand recommended? Is marineland ok or should I steer clear?

I would stay FAR, FAR, FAR away from Marineland heaters. I have heard too many horror stories about them. I use Jager heaters, but I also recommend a controller for them. Heaters, no matter the brand, can and will fail.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay FAR, FAR, FAR away from Marineland heaters. I have heard too many horror stories about them. I use Jager heaters, but I also recommend a controller for them. Heaters, no matter the brand, can and will fail.

Too late. I just bought one. I'll order another brand. It's in the tank now ok. What's wrong with them?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many reports of them failing. They can overheat and break apart.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any type of controller? I don't trust the thermostats on any heater, so one on a controller is nice.

With that said, I wouldn't worry too much about it going to 80* when set to 78*, as long as it is consistent.

Side note, you have an open top now? Do you have anything over the tank too keep the fish from jumping out?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If heaters are so spotty, should I maybe consider just not having one?

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granted, I am in the midwest, but even if I was in FLA, I would still want a heater, there could be a cool night that could mess things up.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granted, I am in the midwest, but even if I was in FLA, I would still want a heater, there could be a cool night that could mess things up.

You're probably right. Maybe I could just plug one in when a cold front's coming in.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a ranco temp controller to help prevent it from overheating the tank. Most times when the heaters fail they fail in the on position.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any type of controller? I don't trust the thermostats on any heater, so one on a controller is nice.

With that said, I wouldn't worry too much about it going to 80* when set to 78*, as long as it is consistent.

Side note, you have an open top now? Do you have anything over the tank too keep the fish from jumping out?

I don't have anything over the tank. What do you recommend?

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could not have said it better. Those controllers area great insurance.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could not have said it better. Those controllers area great insurance.

You mean like an Apex? That's not in my budget right now, although I know they're great. Are there less expensive options?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back