First aquascape

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: I have zero artistic ability and absolutely no artistic eye.

Here is my first ever aquascape. The right side is good. Like that. The left side...is ok. Don't hate it, don't love it. The good news is, at some point I will put corals and an anemone in there and I have a lot of different levels to use.

The Pukani I used on the left side were almost all the same size, so that made it hard.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427679312.561623.jpg

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great to me post up some pics when you get coral in it

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my preference but I really like islands with a canyon between. If it were me I'd find a way to take that center rock out and leave two islands. Make one island taller than the other just to make it less symmetrical. To me much more interesting than a pile of rocks. Downside is less rock to mount coral to. JMO.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my preference but I really like islands with a canyon between. If it were me I'd find a way to take that center rock out and leave two islands. Make one island taller than the other just to make it less symmetrical. To me much more interesting than a pile of rocks. Downside is less rock to mount coral to. JMO.

+1. I think the right side looks perfect, but would try to get more height to the left and open the center.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, take the center out and go from there. Definitely on the right track though!!

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think looks pretty good for first go at it. I worked mine for 3 weeks. Hah. +1 remove center rock. I actually like the left side better. It looks cleaner and like the pass through at the top. I also agree that it could improve if the 2 islands were less symmetrical in height/width. 3/5 rule.

Look forward to seeing it done.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on losing center and making it asymmetrical. I like to use big rocks for the bottom and use small rocks on top of those. You can interlock small rocks to make it look like one mass of rock rather than a bunch of rocks stacked up. You can use plumbers epoxy to hold the structure together. Leave the very top rocks unsecured so you can tweak the scape over time.

dailydriven911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like the left side better than right lol. The middle piece I'd remove but if you're like me you will change it up at least a few times anyway. ;)

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427737400.101571.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427737413.820232.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427737420.288272.jpg

Re did the left side. Made the right side higher. Changed the middle. Made the left side a lot lower. Making saltwater so this is how it will be unless I get another burst of idea by the time I put in my first 30 gallons.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks much better. Just make sure it is secure so you don't have a rockslide. My only concern is that this is very vertical. It will be difficult to place corals in the lower areas because they will be shaded by the corals that are higher up.

Also, you can always change things around even when your tank is full. I've done it more times than I'd like. Epoxy and superglue both work underwater too.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks much better. Just make sure it is secure so you don't have a rockslide. My only concern is that this is very vertical. It will be difficult to place corals in the lower areas because they will be shaded by the corals that are higher up.

Also, you can always change things around even when your tank is full. I've done it more times than I'd like. Epoxy and superglue both work underwater too.

Won't have that many corals. Maybe 5-7 and eventually an anemone.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha.. Yeah right.
You say that now. Lol. We all said that once.
Tank looks good.

Nope. I prefer fish. Also don't want to have to get into the whole dosing stuff outside of water changes.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back