RO and PH question

jackl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Newbie here and have a question about using RO and Ph. I just ordered a RO system and have not received it yet but supposedly after the water is filtered the PH comes out around 6.5 So my question is when doing a water change and I have filtered 10gallons in my bucket do I add the buffer to bring the PH up and then wait a day to add the salt? Or add salt get correct salinity then buffer the PH. Or it doesn't matter....... I also use a heater to bring temp up before i add salt
Thanks in advance
Jack

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Newbie here and have a question about using RO and Ph. I just ordered a RO system and have not received it yet but supposedly after the water is filtered the PH comes out around 6.5 So my question is when doing a water change and I have filtered 10gallons in my bucket do I add the buffer to bring the PH up and then wait a day to add the salt? Or add salt get correct salinity then buffer the PH. Or it doesn't matter....... I also use a heater to bring temp up before i add salt
Thanks in advance
Jack

I think once you add the salt the pH will be fine. You shouldn't have to buffer freshly mixed salt water. Although testing it is always a good idea.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultra pure water is not buffered and the pH will be all over the map. Don't do anything because the addition of the salt will define the pH.

Last edited:

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/

Good article regarding ph and our aquariums.

Don't chase this number as many ph additives can throw off the kh balance.

Good surface aeration and fresh salt water will determine where your ph stabilizes at.

Seasons and temperatures alter as well. Nothing to really stress about.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back