Will my choices of fish get along?

dclemm10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ideas for my spin up Saltwater tank. I have chosen a size now, an seek a good solution to get one that wont break the bank. So i chose to get these fish into the tank . What I want to know is will they be good tankmates?

So here we go

220 gallon tank. Under tank filtration system to lessen stress on the fish,for flow some sort of pump to keep an active current going so my buddies can stay healthy. Sand bottom live rock and wood to alow them to hide when they want too.So now for the hopeful new additions to my family

Clownfish
tangs-Hippo, naso, and yellow
emporer angel
blue mandarin dragonet
royal gramma basket
Blue saddled toby
cortez angel
Springers damsels
Turbo snails
blue legged hermit crab
flower anemone
long tentacle
coco worms

I hope they do cause i realy want variety and color, with harmony and beauty. I like small fish but I also want larger to compliment the tank and give me the slow peaceful swimmers

So am I off my rocker or hoping in the wrong direction?

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about the tangs. Bump for someone else Reefsquad
I am getting ideas for my spin up Saltwater tank. I have chosen a size now, an seek a good solution to get one that wont break the bank. So i chose to get these fish into the tank . What I want to know is will they be good tankmates?

So here we go

220 gallon tank. Under tank filtration system to lessen stress on the fish,for flow some sort of pump to keep an active current going so my buddies can stay healthy. Sand bottom live rock and wood to alow them to hide when they want too.So now for the hopeful new additions to my family

Clownfish
tangs-Hippo, naso, and yellow
emporer angel
blue mandarin dragonet
royal gramma basket
Blue saddled toby
cortez angel
Springers damsels
Turbo snails
blue legged hermit crab
flower anemone
long tentacle
coco worms

I hope they do cause i realy want variety and color, with harmony and beauty. I like small fish but I also want larger to compliment the tank and give me the slow peaceful swimmers

So am I off my rocker or hoping in the wrong direction?

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion.
The hippo tang and the Naso will grow much to big for this tank.
The toby is a real charm but the turbos, hermits and coconut worms will be at risk. Maybe the mandarin too.

austin55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both hippo and naso are rated for minimum 180g so I don't see a problem with them in a 220g. I would just make sure you introduce all tangs at once

OP
OP
D

dclemm10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure folks know why the turbo snails and the hermit crab, I am using them to start the tank up prior to any fish being introduced. Once the water is placed in for the first time i am going to let it cycle with them in it to allow the littleg uys to do their thing. I figure a month after the tank is setup and they have had their duties done teh water should be ready for first fish delivery. If i find the fish do not like the crabs or the snails I will remove most to keep them safe, leavinf a few for tank cleaning duty and close monitoring.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a 6 foot long tank?

Assuming yes, I would skip the "Naso" --- guessing you are referring to an Naso elegans/lituratus -- just get too big. Personally, I wouldn't keep one in anything less than 10'.

The Emperor angel would be pushing it a bit. Would skip the Cortez, too big. Plus, those 2 large angels wouldn't get along.

I wouldn't use the snails and crabs to cycle the tank, other ways to go about cycling.

Do you plan on having a sandbed?

OP
OP
D

dclemm10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trex, I have not made a choice on height of tank. My only thought was a 220 tank. If i require a tall tank I will see what I can come up with as I like the variety of fish me and my daughter chose. he one certianty is the Emporer angel and the Hippo Tang. If I have to give up the Cortez and the Naso Tang I will(sadly).

I do plan on a sandbed with live rock and a place for the clownfish to call home.

You mention other ways to cycle teh tank. Can you elaborate? I was thinking this is the easiest and least amount of manual labor to do so.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Length is going to be more important than height. 8 feet would be better than 6.

Even with an 8 footer, I would still skip the Cortez (( the Emp will not take too kindly to it )), and the Naso just gets too big and swims way too much.

The LTA (( M. doreensis )) is a sandbed dwelling anemone.

What I did with my 210 (( used all dry rock to start )) was to place some clams on the half-shell into the tank, to get things started. In addition, I added a few pieces of live rock from my 75, that I was taking down, to the 210. Tested, tested and tested. Then I moved over my livestock.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and wood to alow them to hide when they want too.

This caught my attention. I would not add any wood as part of the decor for a saltwater tank, as it will break down and pollute the tank.

I agree so far with above comments on livestock.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add tangs all at once.

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gold rim tang (white cheek tang) is a nice tang and it doesn't get too big.

Ditto on not using wood inside the tank.

Less than 30" high for the tank itself. Imagine trying to reach the bottom of anything deeper than 30".

Also, as someone already pointed out, length is much better than height. Most fish don't seem to swim in the upper portion of the tank unless you're feeding them.

Just my opinion though.

Allen

OP
OP
D

dclemm10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advise. I have decided to remove the cortez and the Naso Tang from the equation. As a novice of the saltwater systems I do not wish to push and cost teh lives of innocent fish.

Wood is out as well. Based on rookie mistakes and fish and thank health.

I may add a stars and stripes puffer to the tank if the day comes along, but not sure yet.

I did get to look at a 220 gallon tank today with life already in and happy. roughly 5 feet long maybe 6 and about 4 feet deep. Imperator angel, yellow frog face.( dont quote me on that), two clowns, and a tang of unknown name or type. All very happy and off course the Iperator angel ran the show. It was a start for me of course. I saw maybe 6 to 10 inch hippo tangs, yellow tangs and a naso tang I wanted so badly to take home and put in, that a the mandarin dragonet.

Basically it lit the fire. I want a tank now more then ever. So I ask now. If anyone knows how to get a 220 gallon tank cheap(not sacrificing quality of course) with the demension of at least 8 feet long 4 feet wide, 5 feet deep or comparable please bend the website my way or have them make contact here?

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advise. I have decided to remove the cortez and the Naso Tang from the equation. As a novice of the saltwater systems I do not wish to push and cost teh lives of innocent fish.

Wood is out as well. Based on rookie mistakes and fish and thank health.

I may add a stars and stripes puffer to the tank if the day comes along, but not sure yet.

I did get to look at a 220 gallon tank today with life already in and happy. roughly 5 feet long maybe 6 and about 4 feet deep. Imperator angel, yellow frog face.( dont quote me on that), two clowns, and a tang of unknown name or type. All very happy and off course the Iperator angel ran the show. It was a start for me of course. I saw maybe 6 to 10 inch hippo tangs, yellow tangs and a naso tang I wanted so badly to take home and put in, that a the mandarin dragonet.

Basically it lit the fire. I want a tank now more then ever. So I ask now. If anyone knows how to get a 220 gallon tank cheap(not sacrificing quality of course) with the demension of at least 8 feet long 4 feet wide, 5 feet deep or comparable please bend the website my way or have them make contact here?

FYI, those dimensions would give you about 1,200 gallons. So, about a thousand more gallons than the amount you stated that you wanted.

My 210, is 6 feet long, 2 feet front to back and 30 inches tall. I am 6' 1", and with a normal stand, I wouldn't want to go any higher than 30 inches. That is about the limit for reaching the bottom.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back