Info Needed: Looking to Start a FOWLR Saltwater Aquarium

redzfit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a house and there is a cut out in the kitchen cabinet (see picture). The Opening is 31'' W x 20'' Deep x 19'' High. The cabinet is about a total of 33'' High.

I used to have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with South American Cichlids but I know Salt Water is more complex and requires more patients.

I would like to know all the equipment I would need so I can see if it will fit in my designated area before I buy/order a tank. My goal for posting is to see what exactly I would need and what products/brands to buy. I do not mind everything taking time I just want to make sure I do it right. And to learn the process and order to do things…..

Possible Types of Fish I would want;
Clownfish
Angelfish
Dragonets
Tang (Maybe)

The only thing I looked up that I like is a Fluval 306 Canister Filter but I do not know will work for what I want?

Any and all help would be appreciated!!!!

IMG_1165-2.JPG

reef6414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool spot for a tank! I'm new to the forum, but have been in the hobby off and on for several years. For a FOWLR tank I would suggest at a minimum:

your canister filter, protein skimmer. A power head or two for in tank flow (replicate the ocean's current). As far as lighting I would think power compact lighting would be enough to bring out the color in your livestock without costing high $$$$. Not a requirement but a reliable RODI unit will save you time and money in the long run.

The options are endless in this hobby. You are doing the right thing, research before you buy!

OP
OP
R

redzfit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for equipment I will need;
1. Filter
2. Protein Skimmer
3. Power head
4. Lighting (what Kind)

Would I need a heater? For the water I figured I would but it all from the same fish store by my house........

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into 20g long and possibly standard 29g tank, check out Petco, they are having $1.00 gallon sale. You mentioned the height is 19". You will need space when doing water change. In my opinion you do not need a skimmer for a FOWLR , bi/weekly water change is enough. Look into Current Orbit LED for the light. For the heater look into 50-100watts heater. I have 50 watts heater on standard 29g.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

redzfit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into 20g long and possibly standard 29g tank, check out Petco, they are having $1.00 gallon sale. You mentioned the height is 19". You will need space when doing water change. In my opinion you do not need a skimmer for a FOWLR , bi/weekly water change is enough. Look into Current Orbit LED for the light. For the heater look into 50-100watts heater. I have 50 watts heater on standard 29g.

The opening is 19'' but there is another additional 14" above that for lights and water changes etc.... I'll probably end up having a custom tank built so it can better fill that space and have more gallons. I have not been able to find something that will fit those dimensions..... If I got a protein skimmer would that be less water changes?

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things here
1. You'll want a 20 gallon long not a 29 gallon. A 20 gallon long is 30x12x12 and a 29 gallon is 30x12x18. With a 29 gallon it will only leave you about an inch above the tank. Not near enough for lighting or to be able to get into the tank. Last choice would be a 18x18x12 sized tank.
2. As said a skimmer is really not needed but very helpful in exporting excess nutrients.
3. If possible drill the tank and place a 20 gallon sump underneath in the cabinet, you will want to vent the bottom somehow though for moisture and air exchange.
4. Lighting a fowlr tank you can use just about anything, LED, Power Compact or T-5 I'd recommend.
5. As far as fish go, I would highly recommend against any Tangs, Dragonettes or Angels. Each of which require much larger tanks in the range of 75 gallon and up as a minimum.
6. Recommended fish would be Clowns, Gobies and Blennies.
7. 1 500gph powerhead should be fine.
8. The canister filter is fine but you will want to clean it weekly or bad things can accumulate inside of it.
9. Depending on the temps in your house you'll want a 75 watt heater. It's easier to turn the heater down then it is to turn it higher. I run a 75 watt in my tank but I also keep my house temp at a min of 70 degrees f. and tank temp at 78 degrees f.
10. And last but not least read the sticky posts in the newbie forum.

Other then that welcome to your new obsession and empty wallet :)

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom sounds good. Check out Shipwrecks cove located in San Diego or glasscages.com
Probably not. Used to have a skimmer and now does not have one now and still make my water changes every two weeks, just me but somebody else can chime in here.

OP
OP
R

redzfit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things here
1. You'll want a 20 gallon long not a 29 gallon. A 20 gallon long is 30x12x12 and a 29 gallon is 30x12x18. With a 29 gallon it will only leave you about an inch above the tank. Not near enough for lighting or to be able to get into the tank. Last choice would be a 18x18x12 sized tank.
2. As said a skimmer is really not needed but very helpful in exporting excess nutrients.
3. If possible drill the tank and place a 20 gallon sump underneath in the cabinet, you will want to vent the bottom somehow though for moisture and air exchange.
4. Lighting a fowlr tank you can use just about anything, LED, Power Compact or T-5 I'd recommend.
5. As far as fish go, I would highly recommend against any Tangs, Dragonettes or Angels. Each of which require much larger tanks in the range of 75 gallon and up as a minimum.
6. Recommended fish would be Clowns, Gobies and Blennies.
7. 1 500gph powerhead should be fine.
8. The canister filter is fine but you will want to clean it weekly or bad things can accumulate inside of it.
9. Depending on the temps in your house you'll want a 75 watt heater. It's easier to turn the heater down then it is to turn it higher. I run a 75 watt in my tank but I also keep my house temp at a min of 70 degrees f. and tank temp at 78 degrees f.
10. And last but not least read the sticky posts in the newbie forum.

Other then that welcome to your new obsession and empty wallet :)
1. I am most likely going to have a custom tank built so I can utilize all the depth of the tank. I also have over a 12'' inches of room above the tank….
2. On the fence about a skimmer but might be good to have…..
3. Do I have to have a sump????
5 & 6 I will do more research…..
7. Ok
8. Ok
9. Ok
10. Ok

Thank you!
Custom sounds good. Check out Shipwrecks cove located in San Diego or glasscages.com
Probably not. Used to have a skimmer and now does not have one now and still make my water changes every two weeks, just me but somebody else can chime in here.
Thank you, I would like to hear some more feedback. I am assuming my tank will be around 50 gallons….

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're getting some great feedback from the above posts. One quick question: Do you plan to have an anemone for your clownfish? It isn't necessary, but if you do want one, it will make a difference in what lighting will be appropriate (because anemones are photosynthetic).

Also, I would recommend a protein skimmer and sump. I know that those are probably in the "optional" category, but the extra filtration and oxygenation of the water from the skimmer will be beneficial for your livestock. The sump is extremely useful to keep equipment out of your display and provides additional water volume (also a good thing).

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned (and maybe you already knew about it, but I'll mention it anyway) is live rock. You'll definitely need to get either dry rock or live rock (which will turn "live" in your cycle process) for beneficial bacteria to grow. It's the biological filter that is most essential for your tank. Substrate is also helpful as a biological filter (though some people prefer a bare bottom tank). I'd recommend Tropic Eden Reef Flakes (it's an aragonite sand).

Hope these tips are helpful. Best of luck and keep us posted! :thumb:

OP
OP
R

redzfit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're getting some great feedback from the above posts. One quick question: Do you plan to have an anemone for your clownfish? It isn't necessary, but if you do want one, it will make a difference in what lighting will be appropriate (because anemones are photosynthetic).

Also, I would recommend a protein skimmer and sump. I know that those are probably in the "optional" category, but the extra filtration and oxygenation of the water from the skimmer will be beneficial for your livestock. The sump is extremely useful to keep equipment out of your display and provides additional water volume (also a good thing).

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned (and maybe you already knew about it, but I'll mention it anyway) is live rock. You'll definitely need to get either dry rock or live rock (which will turn "live" in your cycle process) for beneficial bacteria to grow. It's the biological filter that is most essential for your tank. Substrate is also helpful as a biological filter (though some people prefer a bare bottom tank). I'd recommend Tropic Eden Reef Flakes (it's an aragonite sand).

Hope these tips are helpful. Best of luck and keep us posted! :thumb:

1. I think a Anemone would be cool. I do not mind having better lighting so if in the future I want to add some corals I can.
2. I am ok getting a protein skimmer, I do not want a sump because of the location of the tank in my house.
3. I know I have to get live rock but I do not know how much. Also I do not know if I should get live rock that is "alive" or "dead"
4. The Tropic Eden Reef Flakes seem good.

Is the rule of thumb 1 lb of rock and 1 lb of sand for every gallon in the tank? So if I have 50 gallons I would need 50 lb of live rock and 50 lb of sand?

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're considering coral at all, you will definitely want a protein skimmer and reef capable lighting. You'll need to determine whether you prefer T5's or LED's. I recommend against Metal Halides for the size tank and space you have due to them generating a lot of heat. With T5's, your best bet for bulbs will be ATI bulbs. If you are thinking LED's, there are lots of great options available. I personally run Radions, but there are more affordable options...it all depends on what you want to do with them. The Radions have full control-ability and some cool effects (not to mention being some of the best quality LED's on the market), but there are other good options (check out the sponsor forums here on R2R for a number of good LED vendors).

As far as sand an rock, a lot of people do recommend a pound per gallon, but it's not totally necessary. You can do less as long as you keep your bioload small. In the past I have used rock that was already alive...but I honestly recommend against it since you can avoid pests much easier by using rock that is dry. HTH

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to have a sump, but if you don't, keep in mind that all of your filtration will have to hang on the back of the tank. With the opening you've got, it might be hard to get to to maintenance. Also, you'll lose some of the depth (front to back of tank) to make room for the equipment. LEDs are nice because they don't generate much heat and you can dim or brighten them depending on what you have in the tank. Good luck!

OP
OP
R

redzfit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're considering coral at all, you will definitely want a protein skimmer and reef capable lighting. You'll need to determine whether you prefer T5's or LED's. I recommend against Metal Halides for the size tank and space you have due to them generating a lot of heat. With T5's, your best bet for bulbs will be ATI bulbs. If you are thinking LED's, there are lots of great options available. I personally run Radions, but there are more affordable options...it all depends on what you want to do with them. The Radions have full control-ability and some cool effects (not to mention being some of the best quality LED's on the market), but there are other good options (check out the sponsor forums here on R2R for a number of good LED vendors).

As far as sand an rock, a lot of people do recommend a pound per gallon, but it's not totally necessary. You can do less as long as you keep your bioload small. In the past I have used rock that was already alive...but I honestly recommend against it since you can avoid pests much easier by using rock that is dry. HTH
So I will get a protein skimmer. So what brands are good and what would I need for approx a 50 gallon tank....
I rather do LED lights if they don't get as warm (and they are probably more efficient). Is there a certain kind of LED I would need for what I am trying to do?

You don't have to have a sump, but if you don't, keep in mind that all of your filtration will have to hang on the back of the tank. With the opening you've got, it might be hard to get to to maintenance. Also, you'll lose some of the depth (front to back of tank) to make room for the equipment. LEDs are nice because they don't generate much heat and you can dim or brighten them depending on what you have in the tank. Good luck!

I am ok with the hoses running along the back of the tank. One of the points of all this is I wanted to know exactly what I need so I can figure out what hoses will be running behind the tank. I that cabinet there is about a 4 inch whole that I can run tubes up from the bottom.....

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will get a protein skimmer. So what brands are good and what would I need for approx a 50 gallon tank....
I rather do LED lights if they don't get as warm (and they are probably more efficient). Is there a certain kind of LED I would need for what I am trying to do?

I am ok with the hoses running along the back of the tank. One of the points of all this is I wanted to know exactly what I need so I can figure out what hoses will be running behind the tank. I that cabinet there is about a 4 inch whole that I can run tubes up from the bottom.....

If you don't have a sump, it will be equipment hanging on the back of your tank, not just hoses. Skimmers, reactors, etc would hang on the top edge of the tank. Just measure carefully to make sure everything will fit. You're smart to be asking a lot of questions beforehand.

OP
OP
R

redzfit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a sump, it will be equipment hanging on the back of your tank, not just hoses. Skimmers, reactors, etc would hang on the top edge of the tank. Just measure carefully to make sure everything will fit. You're smart to be asking a lot of questions beforehand.

What are some good brands of protein skimmers (I try and youtube the products to see what I will need)? Once I figure out all the equipment I will need then I will ask about the process of actually starting a tank and what to check for and all that……

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess my question is what are you looking to spend?

I'm thinking you should take over the space below the tank for a sump! Throw a 40 breeder down there. Have the tank set up drilled. I would also look into having some sort of refugium area in the sump.

Now we're talking nice setup capable of anything you ever wanna do!

For equipment I would grab these things.

Any led unit in the right size. I used reef breeders. If you can afford then maybe maxspect or radions

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/05/22/skimz-monzter-mini-dc-protein-skimmer/

jaebo dc6000 return pump

Maxspect riptide xf130

1 decent titanium heater

1 jaebo wp 10 for the sump

Later in life when you start into corals or who knows what and need more control you may wanna get into a controller and a dosing pump.

Updated with a great skimmer!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

redzfit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess my question is what are you looking to spend?
I'm thinking you should take over the space below the tank for a sump! Throw a 40 breeder down there. Have the tank set up drilled. I would also look into having some sort of refugium area in the sump.
Now we're talking nice setup capable of anything you ever wanna do!
For equipment I would grab these things.
Any led unit in the right size. I used reef breeders. If you can afford then maybe maxspect or radions
Skimz Monzter Mini is the smallest DC Protein Skimmer to date
jaebo dc6000 return pump
Maxspect riptide xf130
1 decent titanium heater
1 jaebo wp 10 for the sump
Later in life when you start into corals or who knows what and need more control you may wanna get into a controller and a dosing pump.
Updated with a great skimmer!

Is that protein skimmer only if you have a sump?
What is the "jaebo dc6000 return pump?" Again is that only for a sump?

The reason why I do not want a sumo because I do not want that much in my cabinets because I do not want them to get ruined over time. I just think the less water I have in that area the less the water the wood can try and soak.

I am interested in this hobby because I did freshwater in the past, I really like the colors and fish saltwater offers and I think the science aspect of it will be fun....

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the jaebo pump gets the water from the sump up to your tank.

I really think you going to have less mess and water problems if you just go with the sump.

If you don't have a sump your going to have all kinds of junk hanging off the back of the tank. Than your getting saltwater creep off the back and leaks back there. Spills drips. Your not saving yourself honestly.

If you run a sump and a good skimmer there's no need for any type of mechanical filter.

Idk I'm just thinking your gonna make a custom tank to fit your space that's gonna look cool than your gonna put I bunch of junk in and hang junk off the back? Meh

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are hang on back skimmers but heated.hd is right. They take up room in the back and the skimmer cup will need to be cleaned often, which means it should be easily assessible.

Last edited:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for the 29 as it will be almost a perfect fit. You could cut the bottom of your upper cabinet and mount the light inside the cabinet. It would be so clean if you were to go this route. The 29 is only 12" deep so the extra 8" behind would be more than enough to run a drain to a sump. There's a cabinet under the tank that would be perfect for a sump like a 20 long. Using a ghost overflow would save so much room and also be very clean looking. I just have a vision of your tank just sitting there alone with no equipment, lights etc.

I know you say you don't want a sump, but getting behind the tank to do maintenence will be a nightmare. If you're concerned about moisture you could always remove the doors to the cabinet below and have a display sump.

Last edited:
Back