New Tank powerhead/clownfish questions

omegafield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I have a 55-gallon cube tank that I recently set up. I'm using a Koralia 3 and I'm a bit concerned that it's too much, mainly because of my two small (<1") occelaris clowns. They seem to be constantly holed up in the corner of the tank, swimming downward into the rising flow. I have the head angled into the opposing corner and rockwork, but it still seems to be a bit much. They even seem to try to sleep (?) like this.

Also of note:

-When I first got them I had 3 chromis who seemed to bully them into the corner. They have since been removed, but the clowns are still in the corner.
-The only other inhabitant is a friendly firefish who also likes the corner.
-There are lots of available, spacious caves out of the flow.
-They seem to be healthy and happy otherwise, coming out of the corner to eat voraciously out of my hands and stare at me.
-Water quality is good.
-I also have some frogspawn corals, would this be too much flow for them too?

Basically, should I be concerned and address this or give them time?

Thanks!

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a little more information if ya don't mind :)

What are the dimensions?

Where is the power head?

I'm going to say yes its to much u might be better off with a couple k1s on oppisite sides. These will be fine as long as you don't have SPS. If you do go the SPS route I'd up grade then.

OP
OP
O

omegafield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appx. 23"x23"x23".

The K3 is on the top back left pointed towards the top back right, and there is some live rock there it goes behind and around. The clowns hang out in the front left corner.

I'm planning on getting some SPS eventually, would a K3 be needed for these?

Thanks!

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I would keep the k3 if you do SPS, but for now either add two k1s or something else.

When the fish get bigger they should be fine but ur tank isn't very wide so honestly you might be able to do two k2s and get away with sps to be honest!

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooo and stop lurking! You've been a member for a month with 2 post!?! Lol!!! Welcome to reef 2 reef btw this is the BEST reef site around!

rniedzia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K3 might be too strong, but also depends how you locate them in the tank and your rock structure.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a K3 in a 20G frag tank and 20G QT tank, I can't imagine its too strong in yours. I have a K1 in my 16G bowfront along with another small powerhead and its really weak, I'll never buy another one.
My fish love the K3 and two K4s in my 60" 100G, they surf on the current! Its funny to watch them line up in front of the powerhead and wait their turn to surf, blowing them half way across the tank then returning for more.

Last edited:

rick8335

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a k3 right now in my 55. Are you sure that the corner is not just "Their" spot to hang out now? Do they have something to host now? they might just need somewere to hang out, that doesnt seem so weird. I have no BTA's or mushrooms or anything soft to swim into, but my clowns now host my chalise coral, and to me thats the weirdest thing.
Rich

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Seio 2600, which puts out alot more than a K3, my 2 clowns seem to swim OK, they are 1" and 2". They sleep in the corner of the tank, one stays in the front left the other in the back left. I have my powerhead aimed at the surfacr in the middle of the tank. This allows it to ripple the surface and gets good flow all over the tank.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding your clownfish, I think that's somewhat common for them to hover around the top surface - around a power head for example (that's what mine did)
After awhile, they'll find someplace to call home/host in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back