How long can you store Saltwater in containers?

mc-cro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, I use IO salt, and my mixing container has a white film in it. From everything I have read, its perfectly fine. nothing to worry abotut

WhoDey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many months indeed. Almost indefinitely. The bigger concern is contamination, of course, over time.

The rules, so to speak are:
1) sealed and dark, or...
2) covered but not sealed and midldy aerated form the bottom (a power head placed on the bottom pointing upward is good)

If Anthony Calfo says it then its the truth =) Great to see you dishing advice on here, very appreciated.

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Anthony Calfo says it then its the truth =) Great to see you dishing advice on here, very appreciated.

LOL thats how i felt and i barely know who he is...only through what i have read online. I feel like he is the Dos Equis Guy or Chuck Norris of reefing!!

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but I’d add if you aerate better put a filter on the air or over time you will blow dirt and hene bacteria into the water. Most comes on particles so a little in line filter if all you need to catch the dust.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never ever ever seal my holding water, it stays open

nano and pico reefers are doing all or most of the water at once, no room for 02 error

that happened to me once, the sludges and biofilms that form in constant-use containers house life that are on the spectrum of biological oxygen demanding organisms, and if you happen to cap off water a week or two and then do a 100% change w that stripped water, bad things happen. almost lost my whole setup, but I happened to be home in time to mix up a fresh batch and immediately change it back out (whereas the quick salt dissolve batch, oxygenated, was preferable to the stripped one with full dissolution)

I could tell something was off when every single benthic microcreature headed up top, fast, hundreds of them. I think this action is less pronounced in systems doing the classic 20% changes

Last edited:

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, I use IO salt, and my mixing container has a white film in it. From everything I have read, its perfectly fine. nothing to worry abotut
I had this white 'film' too. I noticed some of it come out of the barrel and into my tank, and kinda freaked out a bit. I'm assuming it will just dissolve in my tank and not be an issue?

It's more of a 'solid' than a film though. (like it flakes off the barrel).
20181112_215202.jpeg

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know if this was directed at me, but my sw mixing bucket is covered at all times...and it is stored in the basement, so no lights even in the area, no windows etc.

This is stuff coating everything though. Its like a white bacteria or algae. I guess at this point I am really hoping that it doesnt happen again this next time I mix.
It probably got contaminated when u mixed it and it sounds like fungus if it is a white slime.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back