Best first coral-not GSP or mushroom

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense to GSP or mushrooms (especially jawbreakers!), but trying to firm up my stock list and order of additions and wondering what would be the best first coral. Seems like the qualities that make corals "beginner" are the same qualities for a coral that would become a "pest" at a later date, which I would like to avoid. I would like to think that while I am a "beginner" at reefs, I have worked a fish stores previously and kept a FOWLR for 6 yrs so should be able to have a pretty good handle on things from the get go.

So looking for suggestions.

Was thinking a Tyree toadstool-but recently read that they might engage in pretty heavy chemical warfare? Can anybody comment on that or if I should leave them out?

Also considering Z & P- I know not all wouldl be beginner

Possibly Acan?

Other suggestions?

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
SPS or LPS?

LPS - I would start out with an oldie but a goodie still like the Bubblegum monster chalice, Miami Hurricane chalice or a Watermelon chalice of some sort. These have come down significantly in price over the last few years so they are affordable. I would stay away from newly imported chalices and stick with the tried and tested one's out there

If you want to try an SPS, maybe a Green slimer, or an encrusting monti of some sort? Not really an SPS pro so someone might chime in with a better idea

bonomo53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
toadstools are pretty easy ,,maybe a frogspawn or hammer ,duncans ..also depends on your system what kind of lights and flow

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
LOL i suppose I should have added some type of frog spawn or hammer to my LPS list....actually these are probably your best bet. Although the chalices I mentioned are extremely hardy and very easy to care for

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Z-P's are always a decent first coral (depending on type) but lately i have realized that some chalices are pretty hardy. Depends where you wanna go with your tank down the road. No knock on hammers, frog spawn, or torch but my hammer have had to frag three times because it was getting too big and i have to be careful what i put near it! Just an FYI

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, and I should have put a little more 411 about my set up. :)

I was thinking LPS, I want to have some SPS later, but not planning on many as I don't want to get drawn into the vortex of dosing. KISS.

I have a 45g cube 24x24x18. I have 2x56 PC and 1x150 14k MH. On timers and LED moon light.

Chalice? Really? I had not even considered as a first coral. That would be sweet!

I guess I don't want to start out with anything that I am not going to want in my tank for the long haul, but don't want to kill either.

Frogspawn are cool, don't they need a good bit of space for sweepers? Thought about them and trying to have some sort of natural seperation so that they can't destroy anything else.

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For LPs a candy cane or trumpet coral can be nice and hardy, ricordias, but they are probably similar enough to mushrooms you wont' want one, frogspawn is great and easy. Like you noted, they can use some space, but I haven't' found they need a ton, if it gets that big frag and sell it.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch for sweepers on many chalices, or most lps for that matter. I have found acans to be quite hardy, montastrea, favia, favites, and platygyra are all very hardy too. Most also have a wide variety of colors too.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of looking for corals that are easy to keep, would you post a list of corals the interest you? Your setup is fairly decent, so you're not limited by that, rather you're just being cautious because you feel your knowledge level isn't there yet. If that's the only problem, it's a fairly easy fix :tongue:

So yea- what types of corals would you really like to get into? Once we know your 'dream' stuff, we can point you in the direction of the easiest to keep versions of those guys.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of looking for corals that are easy to keep, would you post a list of corals the interest you? Your setup is fairly decent, so you're not limited by that, rather you're just being cautious because you feel your knowledge level isn't there yet. If that's the only problem, it's a fairly easy fix :tongue:

So yea- what types of corals would you really like to get into? Once we know your 'dream' stuff, we can point you in the direction of the easiest to keep versions of those guys.

Agreed, your setup is good and we know you want LPS and some SPS down the road. So lets hear what LPS you want and we can help get you going. I still think if you like chalices to find one that is decently priced and give it a go!! Start it off on the sand.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooh, this is much better. ;)

Dream list or what I would like to end up with. I would like to have something that my clowns to host in. Was thinking a leather would be good, but didn't want it to affect what I wanted to do in the future. I am also not a HUGE fan of leathers so would definately spring for a choice piece. Does anybody know if that would be a factor and if I should skip it?

Other than that I did want to have some choice favia, acans, chalice, z & P and montastrea (that is the stuff that has a teal or blueish background and hot pink polps right?)

I know that with z & p there is tremendous variation in hardiness. Does the same apply with favia, acans & chalice or is it more a matter of growth?

The other think that I wanted to know about chalice is the final growth form. They are called chalice because they are shaped like a cup? Is that right? I have never seen a chalice shaped like a cup. Granted most I have seen are frags or not much bigger. I went on the chalice show off thread and didnt' see any that look like a cup either. They look pretty flattish. This is key when planning out aquascaping and where each coral will go.

As far as SPS down the road... I love the $500 efflo. :) I also like Leng Sy, don't even know if that is around anymore. I would probably want 1-2 tabling acros and 1 branching acros.

Thoughts?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers are nice such as the green finger... Also really love them orange tipped cloves..;) ummm plating montis are easy acans, digitata, etc... Just stay away from Kenya trees And mushrooms and your good..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't pulsing xenia take over everything eventually? They are pretty cool and would add some great movement, but I don't want to have to prune them every week. :nerd:

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and eventually i would love to have some jawbreaker mushrooms. :) Don't think those will be in any danger of taking over.

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you're from "Rocky Mountain High" are you from Colorado? If so stop by and I'll hook you up

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend trying a Candy Cane or a Hammer/Frogspawn/Torch coral- both are fairly undemanding LPS's that will get you a good feel of how your tank is doing. They also look absolutely gorgeous with long polyps that wave around in the current, and clows will often host in them to boot! All you need is fairly clean water, some decent water movement (not too much or they'll close up) and some moderate lighting (again, not too much, but you should be fine with them halfway down your tank or so.)

I'd also see about picking up a frag of a hardier/cheaper SPS like any of the birdsnests. The pink's and greens from ORA have really good success rates, and again, it'll get you a feel for trying them out.

As far as Zoa's, there's a few that are very delicate- but they typically have a price tag that reflects it. If you pick up any for $10-$20 a frag, you're most likely going to be dealing with a hardier variety. If you want a few color morphs that are known for being durable: Radioactive Dragon Eyes, Eagle Eyes, Regular Dragon eyes, Fire and Ice are just a few that I put in the "have to try to kill them" category.

Hope that's some help! But really- go get yourself a nice coral that makes you want to put the time into your tank, instead of "dealing" with a coral you're not interested in. If you don't like the coral, you won't like putting the work into the tank!

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Vail Colorado to be specific. Where are you located? Thanks so much for the offer! I might take you up on it and return the favor one day!

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't pulsing xenia take over everything eventually? They are pretty cool and would add some great movement, but I don't want to have to prune them every week. :nerd:

Oh, and eventually i would love to have some jawbreaker mushrooms. :) Don't think those will be in any danger of taking over.

Yes- if you take care of xenia right, it spreads VERY fast. That said it's very beautiful, so to some not a problem. if you aren't planning on many SPS, it won't be a problem, but it will affect your chalices and potentially Acans (basically the 'weaker' LPS's.)

If you want some nice 'shrooms, start with some less nice shrooms and get a feel for them. You don't need to by ***** brown ones, but there's lots of nice ones that are in the 2-20 dollar range that are safe to start with. Just avoid Ricordia Yuma's for now (most people sell them as Yuma's, and sell Ricordia Florida's as just Ricordia's. Your probably fine to try out any labelled as just Ric's.)

Oh- and as for chalices- not sure exactly how they got that name, Pagoda's are often better examples of forming a "cup", though not all do. Chalices adopt the form of what's they're growing on- as most people place them on the sand bed, they grow flat. If you mount them on the rockwork, you'll sometimes have them 'plate' off and then you'll see more of the resemblance you're thinking of.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back