Instructions on adding Kent Tech M Magnesium to kill bryopsis algae

tewebb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help me out on some instructions on using the Tech M treatment to kill this bryopsis algae. I have a 180 gal tank with fish and corals.
I got the 16 oz bottle hoping this was enough. I also got the Salifert Magnesium test kit but it only goes up to 1500 ppm. I understand I need to raise the magnesium level to 1800 ppm. I really need some help getting started on this. I don't want to kill my fish and corals doing this.

Thanks,
Tom

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dealt with this, a few months ago. I just started dosing 1ML/gal each day and that cleared it up within 2 weeks. Start at this dosage and you should start to see results in a week. I did not do any water changes in order to keep the levels concentrated. HTH

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is you will need much more than 16 oz on a 180 gal tank... I don't have experience with that size tank, but that's my thought.

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saliftert is just a titration. You start with 1.0 ml of the reagent in the titration syringe and titrate until it changes color. If you use the full 1.0 ml you are at 1500. Refill the titration syringe with another 1.0ml, continue to tritrate. If you titrate another .2ml you are at 1800 (1500 from first ml, 300 from .2ml) Just add the two results, or add 1500 to the second syringe result.

I think you need a bigger batch of Mg, but you'll know soon enough how much it takes to raise it.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely will need a bigger bottle of Tech M. Does anyone know what is in Tech M that kills of the bryopsis? I've tried this method (years ago) but it didn't really work that well for me. Truth be told I probably screwed up the directions.

OP
OP
T

tewebb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely will need a bigger bottle of Tech M. Does anyone know what is in Tech M that kills of the bryopsis? I've tried this method (years ago) but it didn't really work that well for me. Truth be told I probably screwed up the directions.

So how did you get rid of the algae?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard it actually something "bad" in the Tech M that actually does this. I can't remember when I read this though, I'll try to look it up.

You want to slowly raise the Mag, but only by less than 100ppm per day. Use this calculater to determine how much you need to increase by 100ppm:

Reef Chemistry Calculator

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Can someone help me out on some instructions on using the Tech M treatment to kill this bryopsis algae. I have a 180 gal tank with fish and corals.
I got the 16 oz bottle hoping this was enough. I also got the Salifert Magnesium test kit but it only goes up to 1500 ppm. I understand I need to raise the magnesium level to 1800 ppm. I really need some help getting started on this. I don't want to kill my fish and corals doing this.

Thanks,
Tom

Use the calculator to tell you how much you will need.

You should only raise the mag level up 100 to 150ppm per day

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That question has been asked many times on several forums.
Be nice to find out what.

Yup, just found it. Its an impurity in the solution that actually kills the byopsis :) I knew I read that somewhere. haha

According to Randy Holmes-Farley "It is likely some unknown impurity, not the magnesium, chloride, or sulfate."

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how did you get rid of the algae?

The hard way unfortunately. I got everything out of the tank, and took a scrub brush to it all. Did this numerous times until I leeched out, and got rid of all the algae. It sucks but is effective.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've heard it actually something "bad" in the Tech M that actually does this. I can't remember when I read this though, I'll try to look it up.

You want to slowly raise the Mag, but only by less than 100ppm per day. Use this calculater to determine how much you need to increase by 100ppm:

I guess I was typing my post at about the time you were. lol

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom youll need a few gallons It takes alot of Mag to raise just a lil in the tank. It works very well on some strains byopsis but there is some it does not work at all on. High mag dont really hurt anything that Ive found and Ive had mine over 2000 before :( just test along the way and you will be fine.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom youll need a few gallons It takes alot of Mag to raise just a lil in the tank. It works very well on some strains byopsis but there is some it does not work at all on. High mag dont really hurt anything that Ive found and Ive had mine over 2000 before :( just test along the way and you will be fine.

In my system, which was around 100 gallons, I was putting in like 400ml at a time just to raise it up by 100ppm. I started off super small, like 5ml, 10ml, and it wasn't making a difference. I was actually surprised myself on the amount you needed to raise so little.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had to do this in my 240.
I bought 1 gallon and went through it and hardly budged the mag up at all. I bought 2 more gallons to finish the job.
I did have enough left over to treat a small 40 gallon tank that I had cross-contaminated.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use? I made my own mixture from the BRS formula, and it worked great. It was cheap too :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back