My yellow tang is dying :(

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home tonight and found our yellow tang stuck up against the overflow in our Nano Cube 28 (I know, call the tang police). I moved him to another tank that uses an AC70 for flow and he promptly got stuck to the intake, so I moved him again to another tank which can tolerate having no flow for a while.

My best guess is he is starving because it seems like he is very skinny. Though we do see him eat and poop. I had accidentally let the Nano Cube get lower than usual and it took almost a gallon of RODI to top it off this morning. Everything else in the tank seems fine; are tangs more sensitive to salinity changes?

We've been feeding the tank at various times, Cyclop-eeze, crushed algae wafers, frozen brine shimp, frozen mysis shrimp, and even tried hanging some dried seaweed on a clip (though nothing touched it). There is a fair amount of green hair algae in the tank too, and we'd see the tang picking at it a little bit.

We've had him for almost 2 months (which might be how long they last if they're not eating good).

Just in case he's still alive in the morning, anyone have any suggestions?

JSB

Usually Confused
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the fish from a reputable vendor? I ask because the timeline and symptoms are reasonably consistent with cyanide caught fish. Although, I believe that that technique is not as big a problem as it once was. If it was that the fish was caught with cyanide, I don't know much of what you can do. Regardless, I don't think I would move him anymore, as that adds stress itself. Are any fish in the original tank showing similar behavior, such as lethargy? If so, it is not likely cyanide as I doubt they were all captured together. Check the yellow for any other symptoms and indicators and it may lead you to a diagnosis. Martin Moe Beginner to Breeder is a good reference for diagnosis.

OP
OP
M

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did not make it.

I bought him at Petco in Madison on June 15. I have not had any Petco fish survive very long, though I know others have.

I did not try soaking the nori in garlic. Is it as simple as rubbing a slice of garlic on it, or do you mean I need to purée the garlic first and really soak it? (I am sure a little googling will answer my question).

No signs of problems from the other fish (2 pajama cardinals and an ocellaris). But, I did not get them from the store, I got them from EmilyXLC.

The only other symptom on the tang (besides lethargy and being skinny), maybe, was a slight brownish darkening of the forehead. But that was not apparent until the end. I think he was just not eating enough, or enough of what he needed. From what I had read they ought to eat some of the algae in the tank, and since we had cut back feedings (of mostly meaty foods) to try to help reduce the algae, that probably didn't help.

My wife will want another, but I need to have a better feeding plan first, I think.

shovelrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco fish tend to get overly stressed and cared for improperly their whole life. Rarely an experienced marine caretaker buys fish from there and most of the time it is too late. IMHO, it is a gamble to buy any livestock(marine) from Petco. I do still have a clown that was my first purchase from Petco after setting up my 45g when I moved to AL. I got lucky on that one, I have bought three fish from them since and none have made it.

Just my .02 cents!

BayouBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. I don't have any experience with livestock from Petco...so I can't comment on that part. If Petco isn't the place to go...then where is...the Aquarium Shop?

navila06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you go to the aquarium shop then you will go threw the same thing but it will cost you 20 more.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/515263045199181/?hc_location=stream

there is a guy on there (Michael Mason) who can order you any fish you want.

I have bought from all three and have had fish live and die from all three. These are gods creatures and only he knows how they will do in your tank.
[h=5][/h]
Sorry for the loss. I don't have any experience with livestock from Petco...so I can't comment on that part. If Petco isn't the place to go...then where is...the Aquarium Shop?

payneck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Coral Beauty from Petco in Madison and it didn't make it neither. My two O. clowns were doing fine and so was my Firefish goby. It stayed behind the rocks for about two weeks then died. Don't know what caused it.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic Guard or something like that....sold commercially as a liquid. Just put a few drops on the food and let it soak for a little bit before feeding. Also, Selcon is a very good product for soaking food.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry too for your loss. Most of my fish are actually from Petco and are going on one year in my tanks. You have to be choosy though, and mine were bought when they first started salt water in
The Madison store. I've since seen very sickly specimens there and would resist the temptation to buy the one nice looking fish in the bunch. I think I must have lucked out as I haven't seem anything there I'd take a chance on in quite a while. My last purchase was a powder brown and he came down with ick about 3 weeks after coming home. Luckily he was in my 75 gallon by himself and I moved him to a qt treated with copper. Now he's fat and fine and eating like crazy.

If you try again with a yellow, try offering nori on a clip daily. My yellow tang, flame angel and Blenny attack it like crazy. It's hilarious to watch. They seem to enjoy the competition of getting to it.

This hobby has its ups and downs, so remember that more fun times are ahead!

-g

Mason Dixon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my yellow tang 6 months ago from the Madison Petco and he is one of the healthiest fish in my tank....will eat anything. I cannot get blue hippo tangs to live, I've tried 5(1 from Madison Petco, 1 Petco online) and every time they would just rather starve than eat. I also got 2 Heniochus butterflys that both died within a week from Madison Petco.

navila06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue tang that Just recovered from an ich outbreak in my tank, I have been thinking about giving him up to someone else with a bigger tank since mine is too small for him, you interested. 2.5 inches long, and eats everything and anything, I think that's why he survived just kept eating never stopped.

btw not intended to take over this thread.

I got my yellow tang 6 months ago from the Madison Petco and he is one of the healthiest fish in my tank....will eat anything. I cannot get blue hippo tangs to live, I've tried 5(1 from Madison Petco, 1 Petco online) and every time they would just rather starve than eat. I also got 2 Heniochus butterflys that both died within a week from Madison Petco.

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue tang that Just recovered from an ich outbreak in my tank, I have been thinking about giving him up to someone else with a bigger tank since mine is too small for him, you interested. 2.5 inches long, and eats everything and anything, I think that's why he survived just kept eating never stopped.

btw not intended to take over this thread.

If you weren't so far away, I'd take him...

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang in a 28 gallon cube? That is most likely the problem, to stressed to fight off any sort of ailments. Can only swim in a six inch circle for so long before he gets dizzy... :)

BayouBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you ever take back the deceased fish from Petco for a refund? I'm just wondering as I have never purchased saltwater livestock from them.

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that Petco will guarantee SW fish. I know that they did not last time I was in there. I only buy salt from them though.

I would not put another yellow in a 28 gallon tank. In my experience yellows are tough to care for, as are all tangs. Any change in tank parameters and my yellow was always the first to show signs. I have a blue hippo that broke out with ick when I first got it, pulled thru and then went thru both moves last summer. My yellow did not make it. The blue is the reason for the new tank that will hopefully be online by month's end. I bought her quarter sized knowing she would get way too big for my 90G but planning to upgrade.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on the individual store, but all my Petco fish have died too. I buy them now at a specialty store and they last much longer.

OP
OP
M

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever take back the deceased fish from Petco for a refund? I'm just wondering as I have never purchased saltwater livestock from them.

There is no guarantee on saltwater fish at Petco. Even if there was, they're almost 45 miles from where I live. You can order fish and arrange to pick them up on delivery day before they go into their tanks, but then you're still dependent on the quality of their supplier.

They recently sent out a coupon book that included a coupon for 25% off a single item. Not sure if that would apply to a special order fish, but it might. Might still be better off buying salt with that coupon.

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25% off salt would be a good deal. I can't find it cheaper locally and if I order online the heavy weight charge eats up any cost savings.

PS - Markkazdad this is off topic, but I did finally get my bigger tank. Working now on getting it ready to move into the house.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back