My 75 gal build

Hassablad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't found this site when I started my build so I thought I would share my experience now.. Having been a freshwater fish keeper when I was younger, I had always wanted to have a saltwater reef tank. Life always has its way so now here I am learning so many new things and meeting such wonderful people. I quickly realized I wanted a drilled tank but found it difficult to find one online that was affordable and that didn't require shipping. Pete at The Aquarium Shop had a Marineland 75gal predrilled with stand and hood that I liked. Being a skilled cabinetmaker for many years I elected to build my own stand and hood as the ones he had were overpriced for the quality of the construction. My son Rothgar was probably the catalyst that jump started this whole project. He had already started in the hobby and had asked if I could build a stand. Not having access to all the woodworking tools I needed I didn't really believe I could construct one for him. I decided I would figure out a way and the adventure began. I purchased the Marineland from Pete got it home with the help of Sean and a friend with a truck. I designed the stand to minimize the material cost as my budget is limited. I decided to use a cabinet grade plywood which I purchased from Home Depot but the challenge was getting the millwork done. I was unable to locate a cabinet shop in Huntsville that would cut my parts so I took a shot and had home depot do my cuts on their less than accurate panel saw. I purchased a porter cable router for the router table I had built and never would part with and I was in business. Although a few of the parts weren't square I corrected the problem pieces with my router. Necessity is the mother of invention after all...lol Here is a look at the stand in progress. To be continued...

Attachments

• IMG_1431-2934643186-O.jpg
    IMG_1431-2934643186-O.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_1433-2934643262-O.jpg
    IMG_1433-2934643262-O.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_1434-2934643230-O.jpg
    IMG_1434-2934643230-O.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_1435-2934643231-O.jpg
    IMG_1435-2934643231-O.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_1438-2934643320-O.jpg
    IMG_1438-2934643320-O.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! Will you have two double doors on the front without a center brace? I see several commercially built stands that have a center brace that prevents inserting (and later removing if necessary) a sump or is too narrow to get the sump in. I have two of them. I think every stand should have an end door. That makes it so easy to put a sump in. My frag tank has a sump that can only be removed from the top. If I need to remove it I will have to drain and remove the tank! That was what I got for buying the whole thing sight unseen.

BTW, If I need a stand build in the future, can I pay you in pecan pies?

OP
OP
Hassablad

Hassablad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately decided to use the Minwax Poly Shades. I thought it would be easier than using a lacquer spray but it is difficult to get a good smooth black finish. It took way too many coats and I never really got what I had hoped but I ran out of patients with the stuff. All in all it looks great and it's much sturdier than the store bought stand. I clear coated the inside so it wouldn't be so dark in their. Harry I didn't want the center brace or doors on this stand. I may add a panel on the front with magnetic closers to hold it in place. I wanted all the access I could get into the sump area. I also like seeing the refugium and it helps me do my maintenance as i'm rather lazy.. lol
IMG_1439-2934643326-O.jpg
I purchased the Aqueon ProFlex 20 gal sump for it. It works nicely and is doing a nice job for me at the moment. I purchased a Coralife skimmer the refugium light and T5 tank fixture.
IMG_1453.jpg
Here is a look at my plumbing. PVC gets scary getting the fit just right..lol
IMG_1461.jpg
IMG_1460.jpg
IMG_1463.jpg
And NO LEAKS... I didn't know about Pond Liner then but I bought some floor matt at Lowes to put under the sump to deaden the vibrations of the pumps and deaden the noise. more to come

Last edited:

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great, Hassabrad! I see that it's been three month since the picture was taken. Do you have the tank on the stand now?

Oops, you got more pictures before I posted my comments. Obviously you have the tank in place to plumb it in. Keep the pictures coming. I am looking forward to seeing how it is progressing :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hassablad

Hassablad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75gal build part 3

I ordered Reef Saver rock from BRS and got my Caribsea special grade reef substraight from Pete at TAS. I played around with the rock on a cardboard template in the garage forever trying to aquascape and this is what I ended up with. I'm still not sure if its a good design but thats part of the fun..
_MG_0147.jpg
I also purchased the clear netting at BRS and Home depot had the frame and corners for my screen top. I decided to wait on the canopy for now.
_MG_0149.jpg
More to come

OP
OP
Hassablad

Hassablad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more 75gal build

Here is a shot of the refugium now. I added a GFO and Carbon reactor from BRS. I run the refugium light 24-7. I have tons of copopods running everywhere. The clowns love em.
_MG_0831.jpg
the tank is running great it's been very stable. I do around 15% water change every two weeks. The cleanup crew has made an amassing difference as has the GFO and carbon.
_MG_0785.jpg
I only wish the rock would turn purple instead of yellow. lol
_MG_0800.jpg

_MG_0804.jpg
I haven't decides where I want to place everything but the leather and the bubble tip decided for themselves ..lol The emerald crab and peppermint shrimp I got in the last group buy are all doing well.
_MG_0809.jpg
I need to increase the fish population now just waiting to get in on a group buy at live aquaria.

I want to thank you all for the wonderful frags in my tank, your advise, and especially for taking me into your group. I truly am becomming a reef junkie.
All your comments and suggestions are gratefully appreciated.
Rick

Last edited:

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great Rick!

Nice build thread, too. I will be following along.

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us what you didn't know about pond liner? We're setting up a 90 soon.

OP
OP
Hassablad

Hassablad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply hadn't heard of it or I might have lined the bottom of my stand with it to catch any spills. I may put it in if I ever have to pull out the sump.

Last edited:

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harry gave me a sheet of pond liner that was leftover from his tank build. It's been great catching miner splashes that I cause by various means, such as pulling out powerheads out of the sump or dislodging tubings off an ATO or a calcium reactor accidentally.

I hear that some people use PVC liner/board to construct a shallow catch basin to fit inside the stand. I use a shallow rubbermaid container as a catch basin for my calcium reactor-pump assembly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hassablad

Hassablad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few quick shots of the tank as it looks now.

Attachments

• _MG_0888.jpg
    _MG_0888.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 307
  • _MG_0891.jpg
    _MG_0891.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 295
  • _MG_0896.jpg
    _MG_0896.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 324
  • _MG_0899.jpg
    _MG_0899.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 310
  • _MG_0908.jpg
    _MG_0908.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 310
OP
OP
Hassablad

Hassablad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few more

Attachments

• _MG_0909.jpg
    _MG_0909.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 305
  • _MG_0910.jpg
    _MG_0910.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 294
  • _MG_0911.jpg
    _MG_0911.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 297

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I didn't consider that. Of course I have never gotten that close a look at my GSP.

OP
OP
Hassablad

Hassablad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you got it Green Star . Trish we haven't seen much of you lately. Hope all is well with you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back