joejoe1055

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to be starting up my 180 soon, 72x24x25
im trying to help decide between led and t5
i dont feel like enough room for a halide sytem
wondering what everyone is using to help me decide.
any ideas would be great i just dont want to break the bank

hobbzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Led for main lighting, T5 to supplement missing spectrum. I say diy.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from halides and T5 last year to reefbreeders led. Have been very pleased with them. I understand that reef radiance LED fixtures are very similar for an affordable price.

OP
OP
joejoe1055

joejoe1055

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my biggest concerns on the led fixtures is: adjusting them properly (the percent of light), the possible shadow areas between the lights, and all the cords i think its like 2 cords per fixture (would need 3 of the reef radiance dm-165)
my postives are the money u save on the long run at the meter, less heat given off, and no bulb replacement

concerns on the t5 are bulb replacement, and knowing good bulb combos
postives they are very much plug and play

ive run halides before on my 125, t5's on my 75, pc on my 55 before going t5, ive never had just leds and this is the biggest tank ive owned. (ive worked on much larger but they all had halides at the time)
im not much of a diy guy so that hurts my chances to make my own

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy with the led fixture I bought on eBay. IME led is better all the way around as u pretty much have whatever color section u want, no heat, and cheaper in the long run. I wouldn't worry about cords most decent fixtures have separate cords for whites and blues

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef breeder fixture tonight on my 120...
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1410744189.213808.jpg

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
t5-tried and true, easy to get growth and color. several guides for bulb selection out there, I like ATI's bulb selection guide and ReefGeeks. Since ReefGeek is gone, I saved the blog post to my network drive for future refence. Replacement costs--if $200/yr for bulbs is a concern, you are in the wrong hobby

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had radion gen 2s over my 180 for about 2 years and I did like them a lot, but I did switch to an 8 bulb ATI fixture and I LOVE IT!! I have some LED strips also....Can't go wrong with a combo of the 2!

OP
OP
joejoe1055

joejoe1055

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HndMafia after 15 yrs+ in the hobby i understand how much things cost. I do try and save where i can, i rather save here and there and get something nice when possible.
i replaced my 3 halide bulbs every 8 months in my old system.
i just dont have alot of experience with led at the moment, that is why im on the fence.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am supposed to see a tank doing well under evergrow LEDs next weekend, but I personally haven't seen any led tanks with sps growth and color comparable to halide or t5 yet.

I do miss my radium and Phoenix halides, but t5 works better for my current tank. Next tank build will be specifically for halide & t5 or halide & led

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one marked 165w operated at 120w contains 4 red and 2 green. I can get the brand name later heading to work right now

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 250 mh produces around 20k lumens thats alot of light, my led hung 18 inches over my water line cant go over 40% whites without burning corals so I would gather I can get just as many lumens if not more out of my leds and their cheap ones at that so I'm sure a radion puts out way more than 20k lumens just a thought but I think leds hold their own as far as intensity is concerned

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried led and it didnt work for me. Back to halides on my new 120. Was not worth it with the color difference and the spot light shadows imo.

shovelrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with LEDs, it will take some time/adjusting to get the colors right for your liking and the corals liking. If you are careful and patient it will happen. I have Reef Breeders value fixtures and they are great.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back