My Bonsai 40B build

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 40B build

Ok so I am upgrading to a new 40B. I have decided not to go with bonsai. I just don't think I could put it together. I also don't think I would have enough room for all the corals I want.

Here is my current FTS:
DSC02435.jpg

And here are my planzzzzz....
Equipment-
Tank- Aqueon 40B Drilled with 700gph overflow
Sump- 29g tall (have)
Stand- DIY
Light- 36" Current USA Nova Extreme Pro 6x39w T5 running stock bulbs for now. Will get ATI and UVL eventually
Filtration- ?lbs of base rock, 3 lb piece of live rock from current 20H, 50 lbs Carib-Sea Aragonite sand Seeded with a few cups of my current live sand, Eshopps psk 100 in-sump skimmer
Flow- Mp10 (have), Koralia 1 (have), return will be a Sicce Syncra 2.0 (528 gph), and I have an old k-nano we used to use to mix salt that I may throw in there if needed.
Heater- 250w visi therm

My stand plan:
standdesign1.png

stand2.png

And my sump plan:
sumpdesign3d2.jpg

sumpdesign3d.jpg

Live stock plans-
Fish-
2x Black Ice (or S'more) Semi-Snowflake Occellaris Clowns (see pg2 for pics of them) They were bread from a b/w occellaris and a snowflake.
1x Bicolor Blenny (Have. Thank you Jason and Tammy.)
1x Yellow watchman goby/tiger pistol pair
1x McCosker's Flasher Wrasse

Corals-
My current zoas/palys, shrooms, LPS, and SPS (if they make it... no light for 5 days made them look awful)
Gonna add lots more sps (Acros, millis, montis), also gonna buy rare zoas (purple hornets, blue hornets, la lakers, fruit loops, darth maul, etc.) and grow, frag and sell um. Also gonna make a lil acan and ric garden. And I really want some rare Euphyllia's and chalices.

Inverts (had lots of hair algae in 20H. Gonna make sure I don't in this tank):
50g CUC from reefcleaners.org. Comes with:
50 Dwarf Ceriths
19 Nassarius
26 Florida Ceriths
18 Nerites
also 1-2 clams

I will also have my old stuff for sell when I upgrade.
I will have:
20H tank $15
20H stand (lil off, I shimmed it and it was fine) $25
Aquaclear 70 modded to a refugium $20
Visi-therm 50w heater $5

Not sure when all that will be availible.

Comments welcome :)

Last edited:

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning on lots of sps, I would skip the MP10 and go straight to the MP40. Also seems like an excessive clean-up crew to me, especially considering you plan to start with base rock. I am looking forward to seeing your aquascape, are you planning on drilling the rock?

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning on lots of sps, I would skip the MP10 and go straight to the MP40. Also seems like an excessive clean-up crew to me, especially considering you plan to start with base rock. I am looking forward to seeing your aquascape, are you planning on drilling the rock?
I really dont have $445 for an mp40. I found Mp10's for $160 shipped. I may add another one later. And I hear the mp10 and 20 are pretty much the same and I dont wanna spend another $100 on something the same. I do not want to have algae. That is why I have a big CUC. and if I do get it, I wont be able to take the rocks out to scrub them. I am just going to cement the rocks together, I really dont wanna drill um.
One question. Why are you looking through an Alabama forum when you're in PA lol?

Yerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can find mp40s for 300 shipped all day long. non es version of course. but i agree for sps an mp10 and koralia 1 will not be enough flow in a 40b.
The good thing about the MP20 is that you can upgrade it to an MP40 if you choose to do so as the pump is the same and you only need a new driver, and with the release of the ES version everyone who upgraded to the ES is selling off there old MP40 drivers fairly cheap. Good luck with your build.

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. But I am a poor teen and really don't have the cash right now. I may add another mp10, or trade it and some cash for an mp40 in the future. But right now I would be spending about the same amount on an mp10 than I would on 4-5 koralias. I am currently on a waiting list for a pair of black ice semi snowflakes in 3 months. And I have to save for them. Maybe after I get it set up an get the clowns i'll add another mp10, then by that time my tank will be pretty established an be ready for me to add a lot of SPS and that will be when I actually need the flow. Plus, with the Bonsai rock design I will probably have more flow throughout the tank because there won't be that much rock to deflect the flow.

Yerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if money is the major set back then you would be wise to spend your money on the koralias imo.

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would need about 4 Koralia's... at $45 each at my local pet depot thats $180. I have seen mp10's on plenty of 40B's. I will run it 100% short pulse. Here is a vid on youtube of a 40B with an mp10: YouTube - Mp10 on 40B You can see the amount of flow by the way the tentacles move and at the top of thw water Please don't think I am getting mad. I know that is your opinion, but I want to go cheaper and I have seen that mp10's work fine on 40B's.
Thanks for your concern :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mp10 has arrived. I am very impressed with socaltropicalfishoutlet.com and would highly reccomend them. I payed $8.50 for shipping and it arrived in 2 days via USPS. I am very pleased with it :)

The light should be here tomorrow according to Fed Ex.

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Mp10 and light finally. Pics:
Mp10:
DSC02433.jpg

Light running all 6 bulbs:
DSC02435.jpg

Running 3 whites and 1 actinic:
DSC02436.jpg

Running 2 actinics. Love actinics, never had them before lol, just ran mh's.
DSC02437.jpg

Tell me what you think :)

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Bad news: Went for my interview and found out you have to be 16 to work at Taco Bell..... So the tank may not be set up as fast as I thought if I can't find a job.

Good news: Just orderd my over flow kit (700gph from glass-holes.com) 700 gph Overflow complete kit - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff
We go to church with people who own a glass company and he said he would drill it for free :D

Anywho, if anyone located in Cullman wants to hire a 15 year old that is willing to pay me $7-$8 an hour.... PM me haha (seriously)

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my overflow box in. I highly reccomend glass-holes.com. Fast shipping and I got an air head and fun dip with it :D

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dropped off my tank to get drilled :D
I am applying at chick-fil-a tomorrow, so hopefully I can get that job and get these guys :D
101_1157.jpg

101_1188.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just talked to Hyperboy and he is holding the clowns for me until I get the cash :) Should be about a month :D

OP
OP
D

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan of attack.
Haha thanks.

I can't wait to get um. I have until the end of November to get $150.....
Hopefully chick-fil-a will hire me, if not, I will not be eating lunch at school for 2 months haha.

I would really love to raise some babies if they ever mate and I had the time/money.
He is keeping them in the same holding tank until I get them, so maybe they will be a happy pair before I get them :D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back