Mike Paletta's new LPS tank lit with LED's

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you have seen this video yet, but I think some of you may find the way he put his tank together very interesting.

[video=youtube_share;xifweoA0N4Q]http://youtu.be/xifweoA0N4Q[/video]

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet video!

JSB

Usually Confused
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a new 150 in my future that might just have to have that return.

Last edited:

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:sorry: I didn't want to listen to it for 34 minutes. :clock:What'd he say? :blabla: :blah::horn:

JSB

Usually Confused
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:sorry: I didn't want to listen to it for 34 minutes. :clock:What'd he say? :blabla: :blah::horn:
He said you are doing it wrong. He said Tomoko was right about LEDs (particularly AI SOLS) not being great with pink, bio balls are your friend, and the X-Aqua overflow is the coolest thing I've seen in an aquarium. I'm paraphrasing, though.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said you are doing it wrong. He said Tomoko was right about LEDs (particularly AI SOLS) not being great with pink, bio balls are your friend, and the X-Aqua overflow is the coolest thing I've seen in an aquarium. I'm paraphrasing, though.

Thanx, that didn't take long at all!

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the method he used to stack a bunch of rocks with PVC rods and concrete landscape pavers, which he explained that he learned from Sanjay Joshi.
He is using AquaIllumination's LED units, which I was very impressed with when I saw them in Nashville swap several years ago. I belived that ReefKoi and his friends were using them at their table at that time. The fixture uses white, blue, and royal blue LED lamps unlike Radion or other newer units like KR93 Ecolamps that use other spectrum lamps in addition, and yes, it lacks the pizzazz in pink and red colors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stacking method makes rock structure more solid for sure. I tend to have landslides when I fiddle with my rock arrangment. If I were to do it again, I'd use the method, too.

He said that he used a little over 50 lbs of rocks for his 75 gallon tank. His aquascape at a glance looked like it had more.

Some hobbyists are using sintered glass or ceramic tubes lately for an additional filtration capacity. Mile Paletta obviously tried them and decided to use bioballs instead for their buoyancy.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back