Nikon or Canon?

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i want to go buy a decent camera today and trying to decide if I should go with a nikon on canon.. I was looking online at the nikon D5200. Any opinions on this cam? This would be my first real camera and want something that is able to take good pics and videos, can be upgraded in the future with good lenses, and is pretty easy to use.. So what do ya think?

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some advice from a friend thats a professional photographer. With my price range she said i cant go wrong with the Nikon D5200.

softy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am no expert, but i think it's half dozen one the other! both make great camera systems, and both are used by pros!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am no expert, but i think it's half dozen one the other! both make great camera systems, and both are used by pros!

+1
It all comes down to personal preference. It's a honda vs toyota type of conversation.
There are differences in handling, button layout, etc.
Best advise i can give you is to go to a store where you can handle them for a bit and see which ones feel more natural to you.

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I don't really know anything about DSLR's.. But planing on learning :) hopefully will be picking up the 5200 if I can sneak away from the office for a min ;)

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On older Nikon models and not sure if changed on newer models but with Canon you can use high- end lenses even on a base dslr's.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On older Nikon models and not sure if changed on newer models but with Canon you can use high- end lenses even on a base dslr's.

Canon changed their lens mount, back in the 80's i think??? Either way, they screwed all their users.
The nikon F mount has been the same since day one. You can still use any old nikon f mount lens on today's current dslr's.
The only thing you won't be able to take advantage of is the modern tech that lets the camera communicate with the lens because the older lenses aren't so equipped. Duh.
So you will be in full manual mode.
Nikon has some amazing "high end" lenses.
They're not Leica lenses... but neither are Canon's. ;)

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Both have their signature lenses.
As for the Nikon vs Canon, there are other alternatives that are just as good. Pentax has a small lineup. Sigma has a DSLR, I'm not familiar with it, but they do have one. Then there are mirrorless cameras as well. Just know that there ARE alternatives than Nikon or Canon.

Whatever you choose, it comes down to the sensor and the lens you use.

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I took my lunch break from work and pulled the trigger on the Nikon D5200. :) the learning begins.. Lol

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canon changed their lens mount, back in the 80's i think??? Either way, they screwed all their users.
The nikon F mount has been the same since day one. You can still use any old nikon f mount lens on today's current dslr's.
The only thing you won't be able to take advantage of is the modern tech that lets the camera communicate with the lens because the older lenses aren't so equipped. Duh.
So you will be in full manual mode.
Nikon has some amazing "high end" lenses.
They're not Leica lenses... but neither are Canon's. ;)
Canon's Full frame sensor or Crop sensor you can use all their line-up lenses Non L or L lenses. Nikon's full frame sensor with the DX lenses would not work, DX lenses only for Crop sensors.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both have their signature lenses.
As for the Nikon vs Canon, there are other alternatives that are just as good. Pentax has a small lineup. Sigma has a DSLR, I'm not familiar with it, but they do have one. Then there are mirrorless cameras as well. Just know that there ARE alternatives than Nikon or Canon.

Whatever you choose, it comes down to the sensor and the lens you use.

Yup, i also shoot a lot with my Olympus EM1. Great little camera. :)

Nikon's full frame sensor with the DX lenses would not work, DX lenses only for Crop sensors.

Correct.
If you have a full frame nikon, you wouldn't want to use their DX lenses. They were built specifically for a cropped sensor camera and when the lens said 24-70mm, it really gave you a 24-70mm point of view. You didn't have to do the 1.5 calculation you would have if you were using legacy glass. But they were generally consumer grade lenses as well. I had a couple of those when I had my cropped nikon but I also had their good stuff, like the 70-200vr 2.8 which can be used on any camera. It just acts more like a ~105-300 on a cropped sensor. You effectively get more zoom.

So yes, a cropped sensor nikon can use any nikon lens.
But you wouldn't use a DX lens on a FX camera.

The only thing IMHO that you would want to look out for with the entry level nikon dslr's, is some of them don't have a focusing motor in the camera body and rely on the lens to have it. Not all lenses do. So you would have to manually focus those lenses.

Last edited:

wilrems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im a canonites but they are all the same... it depends on what is your purpose/use of the camera, are you going of upgrading in the future, what function your looking for...the only thing i can suggest from experienced is buy the highest more upgraded camera model you can afford that suits your need and stick with it. invest on good high end lens more as suppose to the body...

jester17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to FROKNOWSPHOTO.com and you can YouTube him he was a big help when u got my Nikon d3200

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a D7100 and what my research told me was the current Nikon DSLR bodies tend to take sharper still images and the Canon DSLRs are better at shooting video. I almost bought the 5200 but decided to go ahead and drop the extra on the higher end 7100. It takes absolutely gorgeous shots. Older Nikkor and Nikon lenses work great with it. One suggestion if you are going to use it for shooting tank inhabitants, buy a 105mm macro lens. I bought a 60mmm macro and it is a little too wide. Great cameras though.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at buying the D5200 and ended up buying the D3200. I did some research and found aside from an actuating screen, there were only minor differences. I ended up saving around $150. I do prefer the Nikon's user interface over the Canon but Nikon lenses are more expensive. You can pick up a Nikon D3200 with a 18-55mm lens on sale for $479.99.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nikon vs. Canon is a fun argument to have, but it really doesn't matter. When you buy a DSLR, what you're really purchasing is a commitment to a line of lenses. Cameras are just recording devices. The component that plays the most important role in image quality is the lens. In the Nikon vs. Canon argument, the lens line really doesn't matter, either. They both make excellent lenses, particularly if you purchase the professional-level lenses. Keep in mind that the lenses are what retain their value and are kept for a long time. You'll eventually replace the camera body, but nobody replaces all of their lenses when they buy a new body.

So, what does matter when buying a DSLR body? How it feels in your hand and how intuitive the controls are to you. If you have small hands and buy a large camera body it's always going to feel like a brick to you and you won't enjoy using it. The reverse is also true. A small camera in big hands is frustrating to control and therefore won't be enjoyed. As for the various buttons, my bet is that you will only use a small portion of them. But the ones you do use should be in locations that make sense to you and allow you to manipulate without always having to search for them. Borrow or rent camera bodies so you can try them out. Don't buy what your friends have or what people recommend in forums. You have to like and use the camera you buy so make that decision on your own. By all means, try your friends' cameras to help you make the decision.

Do you need to buy an expensive DSLR to get good images? Not at all. Invest your money in good lenses. Buy the camera body that feels good in your hands and that you can afford. Very few people use more than a small portion of the features offered by even low-end camera bodies. If your camera skills progress you'll know soon enough whether the camera body is limiting your photography. When it does, trade the body in for a more-capable model. Only pros and very, very serious amateur photographers can make use of and appreciate high-end camera bodies. Pros need them because they are built to take a beating in all kinds of conditions and when used to make hundreds of images almost daily. The normal person is just throwing his/her money away by purchasing a high-end body to make 50-100 images a week, at best. Again, spend your money on good lenses.

The most important factor in determining what makes a good image is the knucklehead behind the camera. If you don't learn the principles of photography, composition, and lighting and don't practice, all you'll ever produce are decent snapshots, regardless of how many thousands of dollars you pour into equipment.

Gary

Can't have a post about photography without including a photo, so here's a favorite from several years ago.
FONT][COLOR=

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back