New lens for canon 70

Killjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of good pics from a bunch of people. Heard use a 40 mm to 100mm macro..
What seems to be the lens that most people are using, and maybe why.

.... all pics will be with in 24" distance, and with in 3-8" of water. ( standard frag tank setup) most will be shot from top down, and under t5's. ..and some led.
Any suggestions would help thanks

OP
OP
K

Killjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We play with fish and coral , something always goes wrong. Lol
I guess I'm worried about not having enough room between the lens and coral.. so like I said are with in 3". Will a 40 focus better at that distance than a 100.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 100mm F/2.8L macro lens on my 70D and it doesn't get much better than that. I can take photos of object right against my glass, to the back of my tank, full tank shots... even video. There is nothing about that lens that I wish it had.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90mm and higher is typically recommended for macro shooting. Anything less and the focus distance is so close you won't be able to do much, especially in a tank setting. You COULD move frags and such closer to the glass with smaller distances, but you'll loose tons of light. And with all things photography light is, well, the key.
For superb quality, L lenses are great lenses. There is the 100mm L and the 180mm L. Both have superb quality and they hold their value extremely well. If you don't want top notch, Tamron 90mm for Canon is a decent lens, and Canon's 100mm USM is decent, also.

elitegc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a couple sample pics…? I have a 70D and am looking to buy a Canon 100mm 2.8...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back