Help choosing SLR camera for black friday deals

richnbowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend really wants an SLR Camera and really likes the Nikons. She took a class and that is what she used so nothing against cannons. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good black friday deals, say around $600.00 for a good camera? I figured, get her what she wants, and in return I could also use it. I really have no great knowledge of SLRs so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark SF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are very minute differences between Canon and Nikons for anyone except the most discerning photographer. The truth of the matter is that fantastic shots were occurring with digital cameras 10 years ago, on what is considered worthless technology today. The real quality of a photo comes from the photographer's understanding and ability, not necessarily the quality of the camera. I am no photographer, but I do really like my Nikon D5300.

For the quoted price range, I would look at the 3000 series. Costco has a GREAT beginners package, but the "kit" lens is garbage and the telescoping lens is OK, but both are more than suitable for the learning process which is why I suggest this package. You can always sell off these lenses and grab something like a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens for about $200. This, IMO, would take care of a large majority of photos. Most people never take this lens off their camera!

The last option is to take a risk with a used camera, something like the D5300 or D7100 may be in your price range with a decent lens or two.

Here is the Costco option. You can look all over cyberspace and find nothing that comes close considering Costco's warranty, reputation, etc. All the other deals out there have a bunch of crap you'll never use!

http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D3300-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100107159.html

Good luck, she is a lucky woman.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spent $1600 on a D7100 and 18mm - 140mm lens and I would bet you won't find the 7100 for $600. That being said, it is a phenomenal camera. The 5300 is great too. I already had a few Nikkor lenses which is the primary reason for me staying with Nikon. The 7100 is a 24mp chip and it takes incredible images. I also have a 60mm macro lens that I use to take photos of my tank. I highly recommend the Nikons.

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't go wrong with a canon rebel. I am biased tword canon, but it's a great product at a great price.

RandyP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what she is going to do with it. For less than $1000, I would look for a used Nikon D7000 and a 50mm 1.8 Lens. Optionally a D7100 (newer model). If she is going to do alot with photography, the D5300 and D3200 are just not enough camera.

Back