Triggers and Invertebrates

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can any invertebrate actually be a tank mate with a Trigger or are they just destined to be a tank meal? I have a blue jaw trigger who is an awesome fish. Would a large snail, urchin, star, shrimp, doubtfully crab even have a chance?

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sargassum trigger in my tank, and he is definitely not a model citizen, but he tends to stay away from snails unless I had removed some from the tank and put them back, if it's in the water column it will at least try to eat it. This also applies to new small fish that are added. I have a fairly diverse cleanup crew of snails, dwarf ceriths, FL ceriths, Euplica snails, nerites, keyhole limpets, zigzag periwinkles, stomatellas, astrea, and probably more that I am missing. I also have a strawberry crab and a couple of larger hermits that the trigger doesn't go near. One of the hermits molted recently and I picked up the molt and put it in the water column to see if the trigger would it eat and he nibbled, but then spit it out and didn't go for it again, so it must not like it and explains why the hermits still live :)

nwreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Picasso trigger in my tank and so far he has decimated every cleanup crew I've added.

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue jaw in my SPS reef and he has not even glanced at my CUC. In fact, I just added 50 blue leg hermits and he does not bother them at all. I also have three urchins, a mated pair of coral banded shrimp, a peppermint, and a skunk cleaner. All have been safe.

He does bite my finger when I am feeding though if I don't watch him.

azjohnny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the best luck with "Reef Wrecker" hermit crabs and that is with large Triggers ( Queen & Fuscus)

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a picasso for twelve years and a Niger for about seven. I put a bunch of hermits in about three or four years ago and still have them all. My triggers are pretty tame, but I don't think I'd try a shrimp.

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my blue throat. I did extensive research on it before i got it and from what ive read and heard. at least 90% of people say they are invert safe. There is always that black sheep though that could decide he loves your inverts and eats them. Its all about the risk you wanna take.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back