Bottom Dwelling Tankmates

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies in advance if this is a naive question. Can a dwarf angler and a scorpion fish be kept in same tank (large tank > 90 gallons)? From what I have researched it seems both stay about 4-5 inches.

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there both the same size its possible. But there is always a chance that one wont like the other and try to eat it. It depends on if your willing to risk both fish.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input. I think they are both awesome fish and would love to have them in my tank. I have seen a you tube video of a guy who has like 5 sea goblins, 2 leaf fish and 3-4 lions all in a 125 gallon. Do you think the 4-5 goblins cohabitate because they are the same species? Of course I would keep their bellies full so perhaps they would be less inclined to attack the other.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect the angler to eat the scorp. Anglers can, and do, eat fish up to twice their own size and even bigger. There's a video on YouTube where one eats a flounder about three times the size of the angler. Anglers should be in a species tank unfortunately as life for an angler is either eat or be eaten :(
It wouldn't be impossible, but losing one of them is a very real possibility.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% sure on the goblins, but the leafs are generally ok with other fish. Compared to the angler they have a small mouth. They will still eat smaller community fish though.
I would say they're ok to keep with other scorps as long as they don't get eaten themselves :)

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leaf fish are generally very docile and you would have to target feed them if you had more aggressive eaters in the tank such as lions. Just make sure they get food as well and you will do fine. Multiple scorps of any kind isnt always the best idea, some will get territorial if there both males and may fight. I would suggest getting a pair if anything. Or mix and match the scorps as long as they stay around the same size. Rule of thumb with scorps and lions. If it can fit inside its mouth it will eat it.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. One score I think would be it. Really wanted a Pygmy angler as well, but doesn't sound like a wise move. I appreciate you guys educating me. The research I did on live aquaria, blue zoo and vivid all made it sound fine to put an angler in with other fish larger than it. After seeing the angler and flounder video I must say I have reconsidered.

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anglers are one of those species only tanks. My future purchase and new tank will be a Rhinopias scorp tank. look those guys up ;)

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anglers are always species tanks. They have huge mouths!

Multiple species of bottom dweller can be done! I have had a pair of Inimicus (goblins) with a brasiliensis and a plumieri for years now. The brasiliensis just passed though, assuming from old age. Keep in mind your species and their end total growth and how they will fit in your tank. Some preds stay small and some get huge. I personally lost a Mozambique to my plumieri, and never thought that would happen. I would guess his mouth to be able to get around 2" in diameter when he wants.

Also make sure you are good on filteration with these guys. Feed them silversides or some other meaty food and you can watch them breath and have particles escape their gills. The Inimicus will like a minimum sand bed of 3" as well.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome fish - ice fish! If you google him it is like a rainbow of awesome looking fish. You have to share pictures of yours when you get it!

Last edited:

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anglers are one of those species only tanks. My future purchase and new tank will be a Rhinopias scorp tank. look those guys up ;)

Ice? Think I know you from somwwhere!

Rhinos are definitely cool fish. Wide variety of colors and variants. They command a high price though. Anywhere from 250-1500 I have seen.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anglers are always species tanks. They have huge mouths!

Multiple species of bottom dweller can be done! I have had a pair of Inimicus (goblins) with a brasiliensis and a plumieri for years now. The brasiliensis just passed though, assuming from old age. Keep in mind your species and their end total growth and how they will fit in your tank. Some preds stay small and some get huge. I personally lost a Mozambique to my plumieri, and never thought that would happen. I would guess his mouth to be able to get around 2" in diameter when he wants.

Also make sure you are good on filteration with these guys. Feed them silversides or some other meaty food and you can watch them breath and have particles escape their gills. The Inimicus will like a minimum sand bed of 3" as well.

Rayn - thanks for your input. Your knowledge on these awesome predator fish is awesome to me. Got the filtration for the job. Would love to see some pics of your tank!

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to provide new pics in a while. Currently they are in process of a upgrade, 125 to a 180. I will see if I can dig any up though.

Careful with scorps, they are a slippery path to multiple tanks. Some are small, some are large, but they are all cool. They just don't always mix well

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would love one of these! I have a bunch of LFS ranging from a 2 minute walk to a 5 hour drive away with me on a call list so I can get a phone call as soon as one comes up on the wholesalers lists. Unfortunately in 3 years I'm yet to receive a call from any of them. They're definitely a rare fish!

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to provide new pics in a while. Currently they are in process of a upgrade, 125 to a 180. I will see if I can dig any up though.

Careful with scorps, they are a slippery path to multiple tanks. Some are small, some are large, but they are all cool. They just don't always mix well

You talk as if multiple tanks is a bad thing! [emoji6]

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love one of these! I have a bunch of LFS ranging from a 2 minute walk to a 5 hour drive away with me on a call list so I can get a phone call as soon as one comes up on the wholesalers lists. Unfortunately in 3 years I'm yet to receive a call from any of them. They're definitely a rare fish!
Well i work at a Fish store so its a tad easier...(and cheaper) to get fish in i want. Im just Waiting to start it up though. Gotta get a tank ready for it. And find out where i can put it...haha

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crappy pic of the Inimicus and plumieri. Just for reference here is my Fu Manchu, wouldn't even think of putting him in this tank. Would be food in a heartbeat. I have a red and yellow fuzzy lions in this tank and I am scarred for them sometimes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 252
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 228

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back