New preds?

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a little lax lately, so who has some new cool predator fish to share with us?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't really know if it counts as a "predator" fish per se, but it's definitely cool!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427459288.651422.jpg

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Cowfish! What size is the tank he is in?

Me too! He's in a 120 with a smooth toadfish, a school of poddy mullet and a Molly at the moment. I'll eventually move the mullet and toady on and turn the tank into a predator/reef tank.
I can't think of a good name for him yet. Yes, I'm one of those people who name their fish lol. I'm thinking Captain Horny simply because it's funny and relevant haha.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Cowfish get a worse wrap then they deserve. The threat of releasing a toxin and nuking the tank is overblown. They are personable, active and friendly fish!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Cowfish get a worse wrap then they deserve. The threat of releasing a toxin and nuking the tank is overblown. They are personable, active and friendly fish!

+1. People will be paranoid though!
No one else has any new preds?

Triggerpuller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two new ones, just no good pics as they are sitting in my QT atm and the lighting is really bad in that tank. I have a 4inch Pink Tailed Trigger and a 5 inch blue throat trigger. I am adding them to my 110g with my 8 inch O. Niger. I am trying to figure out what the next fish will be so we will see. I will try to get some pics today when I get off work.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two new ones, just no good pics as they are sitting in my QT atm and the lighting is really bad in that tank. I have a 4inch Pink Tailed Trigger and a 5 inch blue throat trigger. I am adding them to my 110g with my 8 inch O. Niger. I am trying to figure out what the next fish will be so we will see. I will try to get some pics today when I get off work.

I've developed a soft spot for triggers :) I'd love to see some pics!
Too bad I like lionfish more. I'd have some triggers otherwise!

azjohnny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preds

The focal point of my FOWLR is a Fuscus trigger and Miniatus Grouper, a couple of pics with my Iphone
Blueline 3.jpg
Blue line 4.jpg
Blueline 5.jpg

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never seen a cowfish before! wow, it is so cool!! Are there more picture of it?

-YK

Not the best pics. Please ignore the micro bubbles too lol.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428465326.198572.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428465346.631093.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428465377.497446.jpg

He has a very similar personality to a valentini puffer, though not quite as comical. He begs for food, spits water, knows that I'm the food god. A really cool fish! I do with I had the valentini still though. If they got along, they would make a great pair!

Just for the sake of it, here's my snowflake hanging out on top of a pump in QT. I've never seen her do this before.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1428465526.072233.jpg

Triggerpuller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've developed a soft spot for triggers :) I'd love to see some pics!
Too bad I like lionfish more. I'd have some triggers otherwise!
These are my two newest triggers a male blue throat and a pink tail. My QT looks horrid but the will be moving into my DT ( with my O. Niger and Male Bird Wrasse) in a few weeks. I will add more pics then.
IMG_20150402_073131_488.jpg
IMG_20150402_073041_371.jpg

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pics. Please ignore the micro bubbles too lol.

He has a very similar personality to a valentini puffer, though not quite as comical. He begs for food, spits water, knows that I'm the food god. A really cool fish! I do with I had the valentini still though. If they got along, they would make a great pair!

Just for the sake of it, here's my snowflake hanging out on top of a pump in QT. I've never seen her do this before.

Thanks for sharing! This is really interesting. What kind of tank you have to obtain them all? Your snowflake is cool too. I only seen them hiding under the rocks before haha. :)

-YK

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm liking all of these triggers I'm seeing! :)

Thanks for sharing! This is really interesting. What kind of tank you have to obtain them all? Your snowflake is cool too. I only seen them hiding under the rocks before haha. :)

-YK

No problem! :)
I have a 120 fowlr for the Cowfish, he's tank mates are a school of three small poddy mullet, a Molly and a small CUC. The fish I'm considering for future additions are the snowflake eel (who's in my 24 at the moment), a pair of fuzzy dwarf lions, a rabbit fish of some sort and a kole tang. It should be a fairly relaxed environment but with a bit of movement :) I have next to no filtration right now as my return pump blew up and I'm still looking for a new one, but I usually use a skimmer rated for 200 gal, 15 gal sump, 15 gal external fuge and I recently received filter socks but haven't used them yet. I've tried to keep the tank as simple and natural as possible so it's not a crazy build with gadgets all over the place. It does the job though :)
Thanks! I think so too. She usually hangs out in the rocks, but this time I guess she wanted to live on the edge. She's a crazy character!

azjohnny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that is cool. Are you ever worried the trigger will start eating everything else? I've always loved Blueline triggers but am scarred of the aggression level.

Not really, the Trigg isn't interested in eating fish,it prefers raw clams, crab meat and Mysis shrimp. It occasionally goes after the Grouper but I think its because it sees it as a threat, all of the fish have been raised from babies which helps. The trigg and grouper are both about 7" and also have a maroon clown with a RBTA.

Time will tell

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, the lions sound interesting. Are they aggressive with other fish? Keep us updated with the snowflake! I wonder what other live-on-the-edge things she will do. :)

-YK

Lions generally are not aggressive in any sense of the word. They will eat fish and inverts small enough to fit in their mouths, but I don't classify that as being aggressive. Just hungry. After all, any carnivorous fish will eat whatever meat fits in it's mouth! :) they won't go around picking on other fish like a nasty clown or tang might.
She's definitely an exciting eel! She's at that stage where she'll possibly be transitioning into a male, so that may explain her change in behaviour :) I'll be sure to snap some pics if she does some more weird stuff!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back