20% off Robo Snail

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Premiumaq

Premiumaq

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question...

Let me do a little investigating. I don't have any end-user notes on the Snail at all yet, so it may take me a day or two to find a few hobbyists who use one regularly.
If no one has tried thicker glass yet, I'll cajole someone into making a test out of it. One way or another, we'll find out if thicker glass is manageable.

I'll post back with updates as they arrive.

Thanks for your patience, and let me know if there's anything else I can do for you!

OP
OP
Premiumaq

Premiumaq

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found one user who has 13mm (as closely as he can measure) glass. He says that the daily cleaning function is no problem. Where he encountered difficulty was in areas with a significant coralline algae overgrowth. On thicker glass, heavy encrustations of coralline may be too dense to allow for a strong magnetic connection between the halves of the Snail. This ends up causing either a skipping/dragging motion in the best case, and a full separation of the halves followed by their falling in the worst case. He commented that a thorough initial cleaning of the glass surface prior to programming the Snail was absolutely necessary or the Snail would be near useless to him for this particular tank.

I am still scouting for more information. I'd like to hear from at least 2 more folks who have tried the Snail on thicker glass. Perhaps the quality of the glass has an effect as well. I know the user above has an older 150-long tank with leaded glass. Perhaps a low-lead or Starphire tank would be different.

I'll post more as it develops!

OP
OP
Premiumaq

Premiumaq

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't found anyone else who has thicker glass. Seems like everyone looked closely at the recommended specs before buying their Snails! Naturally, that only happened because we needed the opposite to happen...

I'll keep my ears open for anyone who may turn up, but at this point the above-mentioned anecdotal evidence is all that I have for you.

Sorry that I haven't come up with more...
Let me know if you need anything else!
Josh - your Premium Aquatics liaison

OP
OP
Premiumaq

Premiumaq

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't gotten any other responses when I asked for anyone else's experiences trying the Snail on thicker glass. It seems most folks with thick glass haven't purchased one. Sorry that there's not more out there.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.2%
Back